World Farm Animals Day

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 4608 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Today is World Farm Animals Day, which also marks the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, who was a an advocate of nonviolence and vegetarianism.

Each year in the U.S. alone, 59 billion animals suffer intensive confinement and are deprived of everything that is natural to them before they are killed for a fleeting taste of flesh. Eating animals is not a benign activity.

I have been a vegetarian for over five years now simply because I love animals. I have not wasted away, lost muscle, declined in health, turned yellow, or feel like I am missing out on anything that is necessary for a full and healthy life. On the contrary, I have improved my health, maintained a muscular and lean body, feel full of life and energy, and have saved the lives of over 100 animals a year by not eating them. Aside from my love for all animals, the most basic answer I can give in response to why I do not eat animals is simply "Because I do not have to."

Because most people are not familiar with where their food comes from, or what an animal goes through before being slaughtered for consumers, I urge everyone to watch the video "Glass Walls" at http://www.meat.org .

Making simple choices each time you sit down for a meal can make all of the difference in the world. Please watch the video and be educated about the choices you make.

Very good information. I was watching a discussion on vegetarians on tv the other day. It was very enlightening. The speaker was of the thought that it is really not about meat eaters vs non-meat eaters. If everyone would just have one less meal a week containing meat it would make a significant impact. One meatless meal a week, that is not too much to ask.

What ever one wants to eat is certainly up to them. I grew up on a farm and raised both beef and pork for the restaurant markets, and went with my father to slaughter houses. I certainly continue to enjoy beef, poultry, fish and pork, but have never cared for lamb or goat or a lot of other "meats". I also happen to love vegetables, pasta, dairy and a wide variety of fruits. My concerns only come when we get zealots preaching on one side of the fence or the other. I don't think you were doing that, but simply sharing your view point and what becoming a vegetarian has meant to you. In my professional career, I dealt with a lot of folks who had serious difficulties with their nutritional input because they did not know how to eat properly on a vegetarian diet. But folks who eat to much of anything can have nutritional deficits that can have long lasting serious consequences. So I hope you continue to do well with what you have chosen to do.

Archived