The Best is Yet to Come: The Music of Cy Coleman

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 4725 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...

doe be doe...did you see this? I had a ticket for last Thursday, and didn't look closely at my reservation. Show was at 7. Arrived at 7:31 and was told that they don't allow late entry after 7:30. But gave me a form for past-dated tickets. Isn't selling well, so I should be able to get in.

Will keep you posted.

I saw it just after it opened. Good and not-so-good. Yes, the cast is talented, and David Burnham is great to look at, and performs very well. He's really good in one number where he doesn't sing or speak, "You Don't Know Much About Women" (or a title something like that). However, the orchestra is deafening, and the whole show is over-miked. I also objected to the complete lack of information, either by Billy Stritch or in the program, as to the shows that the songs come from. There ARE people in these audiences who are interested in such things!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this tonight, and I agree and disagree with beethoven. The cast is awesome, and David Burnham is worth the ticket price. The smile is amazing. They must have responded to the myriad of comments about over-miking in the reviews, because I didn't think it was over miked. They singers were clearly audible above the musicians, and the musicians were not too loud in their terrific original arrangements.

This show is available on tdf most performances, and on the half-price booth every day, and I would almost say that for $30 it's must-see viewing for any fan of the American songbook. Arrangements are tight, and voices are terrific, and the pace is quick...in and out in 85 minutes.

Also, Beethoven, as we left the theater, there was a full program insert given out with information about the songs, the lyricists, and a director's note. If you're interested I will scan it and send it to you...sent me a PM.

I will try and go again before it closes on July 3.

Oh, and chatting with Mr. Burnham after the show, he encouraged me to come see his one-man show when he brings it back to NY in the fall. (He lives in Toluca Lake, CA.)

Archived