London Theater

edjames
This topic is 4765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just returned from a busy trip to London where I did my fair share of theater. Some things to rave about, some, not so much.

4 shows at the National theater – first, Frankenstein (unbelievably fabulous!), Rocket To the Moon (Clifford Odets’s play set in 1930's NYC - did I really go to London to see a great cast of Brit actors speak in Brooklynese? LOL), The Holy Rosenberg’s (a contempory drama about a Jewish family in London dealing with the death of their son in the Israeli air force and the other drama of a failing business and an out-of-control younger son.) Last on the list was a new musical called London Road. Really boring and the music was uninspiring. The story of a group of people who live in an area where one of the neighbors is a serial killer of prostitutes. I left at the end of the first act and went for a great dinner!

My favorite show of the trip was a charming and funny new musical called “Betty Blue Eyes.” Based on the movie by Alan Bennett and Michael Mowbray’s movie “A Private Function,” the story is set in the UK in 1947 centering on Betty, an adorable pig being reared illegally to ensure the local dignitaries can celebrate the forthcoming Royal Wedding with a lavish banquet while food rationing and Spam are the norm for the hard times. Fabulous cast, very funny and a great score. This is the latest hit in the West End.

I also saw Neil Labute’s latest play “in A Forest Dark and Deep” with Lost hunk Matthew Fox and British actress Olivia Williams (last seen in the recent film “Hannah”). Set in a rustic vacation cabin in Middle America, the two play rival siblings who yell and scream at each other until a dark secret is unveiled. Great acting, no intermission, a fast 105 minutes of drama. Once again, did I really travel 3000 miles to watch an American play? I guess so.

Another trip highlight was going out to The “New” Wimbledon Theater (the building is 110 years old for goodness sake! New? I think not!) for a touring production of Matthew Bourne’s Cinderella. As usual Mr. Bourse has taken a well-loved tale and made it new. Set in WW2 London during the bomb blitz, Cinderella meets her prince Charming in the guise of a handsome RAF pilot man. The ballet retains the original score by Prokofiev and Matthew has added influences from WW2 movie love stories. The wicked stepmother is based on Joan Crawford, and she is joined by Cinderella’s evil stepsisters and stepbrothers. The ball is the held in a swank London nightclub and is the target of a Nazi bomb. The fairy godmother is now a male angel. Incredible dancing, costumes, sets, and lighting made this a very enjoyable production.

Finally, just before closing night, I was able to catch a performance of “The Children’s Hour’ with Kiera Knightly, Elizabeth Moss, Ellen Burstyn and Carol Kane. Another incredibly dramatic and intense production. Great cast. A familiar story based on the 50’s movie of the same name that starred Audrey Hepburn and Shirley Maclaine. We all know the story. A lie is told by a spoiled and vicious young student about the relationship of her two teachers. This show is transitioning to Broadway in the fall where I am sure it will be successful.

Finally, two shows I didn’t get the chance to see but they may be headed to Broadway soon. The first is based on the last days in the life of Judy Garland and is called “The End of the Rainbow.” It received good reviews in London and is getting ready to cross the Atlantic next spring. The other is Joan and Bette, a semi-fictional account of Joan Crawford and Bette Davis during their time together on the set of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane. Starring British actress Greta Saatchi and Anita Dobson, reviewers call it an evening of great entertainment. Hopefully well, see it over here, too.

ED

Archived