Sister Act

skynyc
This topic is 4766 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi gentlemen...

Well, this show was my biggest surprise of the season. I went with three friends to celebrate a birthday, and we all LOVED it.

They have moved the setting of the show to Philadelphia, (from Reno), and the time period from the mid 80s to 1978.

I went in with a wary and skeptical mindset...I couldn't imagine how they could pull it off with all original music. (I mean, for me, the best part of the movie was when the nuns sang I Will Follow Him, and then My Guy in church.)

But they create two great pop "standards" in the first scene Dolores' nightclub audition: Take Me to Heaven, and Fabulous, Baby which get new life when the nuns get to perform them later.

The music is funny and melodic, I will get the CD when it comes available. And pays brilliant homage to the superstars of the 70s. There's a hysterical number when the three bad guys evoke Barry White, Sam Cook and Smokey Robinson that had the audience in stitches.

The Sunday Morning Fever number is so sly in it's references to Saturday Night Fever, it brings new appreciation for smart lyrics. (Not on Sondheim's level, mind you, but also not relying on shock value like Book of Mormon.)

Patina Miller, as Dolores is captivating, and is giving the only performance that can give Sutton Foster (in Anything Goes) a run for the Tony. She has a great voice and great presence and gives a performance that is far from channelling Whoopi Goldberg. Likewise for Victoria Clark's Mother Superior who, while oceans away from Maggie Smith, presents a powerful and formidable woman whose faith is questioned and then renewed.

The several nuns who have strong characters (similar to those in the movie) all have moments to shine, and the book had the audience laughing throughout.

I really liked Book of Mormon. But my review there featured a major BUT... I had a bitter feeling in my mouth that I didn't think they needed to push the taste envelope as far as they did. Granted, I know...it's the South Park guys...it's what they do...and some of it was funny. The running Maggots in my Scrotum gag was good for a laugh/groan every time...but the repeated line about curing AIDS by fucking a baby just didn't seem necessary. Shocking yes, but not necessary.

I know full well, that Book of Mormon is going to clean up at the Tonys this year. It has 14 nominations, and will probably win 11. But to my mind, the Best Book should go to Scottsboro Boys, and Best Score and Best Musical would be Sister Act. I know that it's the one I want to see again.

Archived