Where's Charley?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 4830 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this play last night as part of the Encore series. There are two shows today and one tomorrow. If you can go, then GO! It's great! Really funny; good singing; good acting. (I thought I posted a thread on this last night.)

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/theater/reviews/wheres-charley-an-encores-revival-at-city-center-review.html?ref=arts

One more chance to see this gem...and I recommend you grab it. I saw it tonight and fully concur with both Lord Doe-be-Doe and the Times' Isherwood. Fun show, charmingly directed in appropriately period get-up and dance, and you get to hear Rebecca Luker sing. There's your ticket value right there.

I do hope they record this...it's a huge gap in my Cast Album collection. (Yes, huge show-queen, but you knew that all ready.)

Encores this season has really stepped up and all in all this was a real treat of a year...Bells are Ringing, Lost in the Stars and now this, all admirable in different ways.

I saw it this afternoon. I thought the cast and orchestra were terrific, but the show itself is uneven. There are some really funny bits, most of the songs are OK and a few much better than that - especially the famous "Once in love with Amy" - but the plot is tired and there are a few boring stretches. I do agree with the Times that it is probably the best production, as such, that they've done this year. And I hope they can find the funding for a cast recording. As the program indicated, for some reason no Original Broadway Cast Recording was made from the original production, and so the only thing available from time to time is the original London cast recording.

Archived