"That Championship Season"

beethoven
This topic is 4811 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was terribly disappointed in this play, which I had seen in 1972. A barrel of oil every day won't remove the creaks in this dinosaur. I wonder what I, or anyone else, saw in this forty years ago? These people are a buch of pathetic losers, who arouse absolutely no interest in their predicaments or personalities. There have been many plays with drunken orgies, or just drunks without the orgies, such as "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "The Iceman Cometh." OK, this play doesn't pretend to be in their league, but even unsympathetic characters should involve the audience. The acting is competent, nothing more, but how can an actor make something good out of roles that are trash to begin with. My companion felt the same as I did, but not as strongly. This production received mixed reviews in New York; has anyone seen it?

The BEST thing on Broadway right now, IMHO, is "The Importance of Being Earnest." Don't miss it!

Haven't seen "Championship" and don't plan to because of the reviews and this fair warning... But I agree wholeheartedly with your estimation of "Earnest"!!! I went thinking "I can't believe I'm going to sit through another production of this play." and was completely bowled over.

Archived