Getting my RUSSIAN FIX

adriano46
This topic is 4834 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been stuck to my radio (and now computer with better sound) listening to the live production of "BORIS GUDONOV" from the Met today (Saturday) - the German Rene Papa as Boris is fantastic, as is the entire cast -- amazing perfect diction and the voices -- and the chorus is in great form. I love getting my Russian fix anyway I can, and this is one of the best -- only wish I had tickets and was sitting in the Met right now.

But I am conjuring up images of the various churches and palaces of the Kremlin as I listen, and that is fine. :)

To me a Russian fix used to be seeing the Kirov or Bolshoi perform here when on tour under lock and key of course to assure no defection. Nothing could rival the Bolshoi doing Don Q or Carmen and the Kirov performing the little humpbacked horse or les sylphides. However after the dissolution of the Soviet union the performances are boring. While a good thing for the world the arts lost some amazing performers raised by the support the C.C.C.P. put into it's classical arts programs.

To me a Russian fix used to be seeing the Kirov or Bolshoi perform here when on tour under lock and key of course to assure no defection. Nothing could rival the Bolshoi doing Don Q or Carmen and the Kirov performing the little humpbacked horse or les sylphides. However after the dissolution of the Soviet union the performances are boring. While a good thing for the world the arts lost some amazing performers raised by the support the C.C.C.P. put into it's classical arts programs.

Still it is amazing to see how ballet and opera stars are held in high esteem there. I was once able to attend a benefit production at the Bolshoi Theatre (before they began the long overdue renovation of that theatre) where they brought in the Mariinsky Theatre [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariinsky_Theatre ] (former Kirov Theatre) of St. Petersburg to Moscow to perform TOGETHER with the Bolshoi Theatre, [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshoi_Theatre ] and it was really a delight.

To see the mix of the two corps du ballet doing such masterpieces as Don Quixote and then Sleeping Beauty was something one cannot forget -- absolute perfect corps lines as the dozens of ballerinas came out on stage in perfect synchronization. They staged an obscure opera by Prokofiev written during the period where he had to write propaganda, and while there was nothing memorable or hummable in the opera, still the staging was amazing.

But what you say Tomcat is true - many of the really great stars have gone west to where the pay is much better.

I did see Sleeping Beauty done by the Kirov Ballet with their own orchestra under Gergiev's direction. That's got to rival any other Russian Fix ...

(and it was in Berkeley within the past couple or 3 years, so it was after the dissolution of the former Soviet Union).

Still it is amazing to see how ballet and opera stars are held in high esteem there. I was once able to attend a benefit production at the Bolshoi Theatre (before they began the long overdue renovation of that theatre) where they brought in the Mariinsky Theatre [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariinsky_Theatre ] (former Kirov Theatre) of St. Petersburg to Moscow to perform TOGETHER with the Bolshoi Theatre, [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshoi_Theatre ] and it was really a delight.

To see the mix of the two corps du ballet doing such masterpieces as Don Quixote and then Sleeping Beauty was something one cannot forget -- absolute perfect corps lines as the dozens of ballerinas came out on stage in perfect synchronization. They staged an obscure opera by Prokofiev written during the period where he had to write propaganda, and while there was nothing memorable or hummable in the opera, still the staging was amazing.

But what you say Tomcat is true - many of the really great stars have gone west to where the pay is much better.

I think I know that Prokofiev piece. Or one of them. Gorgeous corps work terrible pas DE deux musically. But incredible. Its what Kirov now marlinsky was always known for. I miss getting to see them. The last time was in in varna at an open ampetheater what an amazing night.

Honcho you are part of a very select group. It takes a true ballet efficianado to truly get the magic and discipline the Kirov display. Unlike the theatrical of the Bolshoi. Though I adore both. The Kirov is magical. If you ever get a chance to see humpedback horse as petipa did it. Omg. Now that was Bolshoi at there best

I must say I've never been a big Godunov fan. However, I think I would be happy to listen to Rene Pape sing me the Yellow Pages in whatever language he chooses for 5 hours. I am, however, anxiously awaiting in the upcoming years as he assumes the mantle of Wotan. To me, he will immediately become the leading Wotan simply by assuming the role. I've never been a big Terfel fan in this (these) role(s). I know of no complete cycle with Pape before the 2013 La Scala cycle, although he is doing each of the operas one at a time at La Scala.

Archived