New cast in "La Cage Aux Folles"

beethoven
This topic is 4830 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I go to the theater a lot, and have posted many comments on The Spa, but never here. So you have no idea of what my tastes are like, and how to evaluate what I say. However, I thought I'd comment on Harvey Fierstein and Jeffery Tambor and the production of "La Cage" that I saw last night (Tuesday). Most disappointing! Mr. Tambor is not up to the task. It's a musical, and it would be nice to engage a lead who can sing. His song about the sands (I forget the exact title) was an embarassment. He ruined a beautiful song. Harvey Fierstein's "I Am What I Am," which closes Act One, was totally devoid of emotion or impact. The production as a whole was cheap and cheesy. Jerry Herman's first mega-hit, "Hello, Dolly," was produced by David Merrick, who pulled out all the stops and spared no expense. I'm sure Mr. Herman was both furious and anguished at this bus-and-truck version.

Let's hope that "Priscilla," which begins previews next week, is a lot better.

Archived