For my friends in Chicago - to warm your cold nights, a little Elgar

adriano46
This topic is 4822 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In recent weeks, there have been a number of recordings of the Edgar Elgar "Enigma Variations" played in the NY metropolitan area, and it brought back how really beautiful, moving and soothing this piece of music is, especially the Nimrod movement.

Trying to find the "best" is hard, but came across this one from Chicago, which does incorporate the rich sound needed (despite the $##$ sound of coughers and hackers in the background)...

[video=youtube;sUgoBb8m1eE]

But here are the Brits doing it too

[video=youtube;npbUFXzGS8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbUFXzGS8c&feature=related

And if you like, see this visual version - also by the LSO!!

[video=youtube;NhnMd1Jl7SA]

Elgar's "Enigma Variations"

In recent weeks, there have been a number of recordings of the Edgar Elgar "Enigma Variations" played in the NY metropolitan area, and it brought back how really beautiful, moving and soothing this piece of music is, especially the Nimrod movement.

Trying to find the "best" is hard, but came across this one from Chicago, which does incorporate the rich sound needed (despite the $##$ sound of coughers and hackers in the background)...

[video=youtube;sUgoBb8m1eE]

But here are the Brits doing it too

[video=youtube;npbUFXzGS8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbUFXzGS8c&feature=related

And if you like, see this visual version - also by the LSO!!

[video=youtube;NhnMd1Jl7SA]

Adriano,

Thanks for sharing! I especially enjoyed Barenboim conducting the CSO version, amazing and brilliant execution. I was able to recognize some familiar faces in the orchestra of a few years ago as well.

Another reason why you need to visit Chicago, my friend! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Adriano,

I just got to this wonderful post by you this evening. I loved listening to each of the recordings. The first one with Barenboim conducting the CSO brought back memories of listening to this when Sholti was the conductor of CSO and I had season tickets to the CSO. I also must say I loved the recording by the LSO with the stunning visuals. I don't think I will ever be able to listen to this piece again without seeing that visualization in my mind. Thanks so much for sharing and my apologies for not checking this out before~!

DD

Archived