Organ Recording Favorites

Diverdan
This topic is 4818 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I decided to start a new thread, since the one started three weeks ago had 45 or so posts. I had promised to share a few of my favorite recordings and just got started on this today, so here goes. As you can see, Michael Murray is one of my favorite recording organists, and mostly on the Telarc label. The following are all by Michael:

Encores a la francaise, Willis Organ at Aslisbury Cathedral, The Willis Organ at Goteborg, the organ at St John The Divine, Organ Blaster Sampler, Saint Saens Symphony # 3 and my all time favorite, Jongen-Symphony Concertante, recorded in San Francisco at the inagural concert of the Ruffanti Organ in their Symphony Hall.

Another favorite of mine, just for fun listening, is Christopher Herrick who has recorded nine or ten "Organ Fireworks" for Hyperion. I have volumes I-IX and enjoy them all. My sound system rattles the walls and floors when I crank up some of these numbers!

He has another very different recording entitled Organ Dreams also on the Hyperion label.

In a very different approach, is a CD by Liuwe Tamminga with recording of Girolama Frescobileli's Works for Organ on the Accent Label.

I also love Jennifer Bale's CD entitled Great Organ Works of Cesar Frank, Volume II. I hope to get some of the other volumes in this series soon.

Some may also enjoy another one of my favorites entitled Ceremonial Music featuring Rolf Smedvig on Trumpet and Michael Murray on the Organ. This is also on Telarc.

For a very different pace, and for some an introduction to organ works, try a recording by Todd Wilson entitled In A Quite Cathedral, a two disc set under the Delos label

Good listening, and I look forward to hearing from others who enjoy either listening or playing the King of Instruments, with a special thanks to all those who posted on the other thread.

DD

Thanks DD!

I have always thought of Michael Murray as the E. Power Biggs of the Digital Era... but never really investigated his recordings. At any rate, from a hi-fi point of view I would imagine that those Telarcs pack quite a punch in the deep base... and along those lines I would assume the Hyperion's would more or less follow suite as I have found that label to produce high quality recordings as well. So perhaps I should take the plunge... I was thinking in investing in replacement windows anyway... so if a few are rattled or shattered this will get the ball rolling in that regard! Now hopefully, I won't blow a woofer or tweeter in the process as I can't afford to replace both my speakers and the windows!

Hi Whipped Guy... you are most welcome. I also forgot another favorite of mine, which is Stephen Farr with Great European Organs #43 on the Priory label, and very different than the others above. I have a pair of Dahlquist speakers (which are unfortunately not made anymore) paired with a great subwoofer made by Snell and powered by Denon. Depending on your power source, it is possible to blow the speakers, usually the tweeters or midrange. I doubt you will ever blow a subwoofer, but who knows, anything is possible! If you want to try out your system, the Jongen recorded by Murray in SF would be a good place to start. Also, anything recorded on the organ in Royal Albert Hall in London will also give your system a real test in the deep base. Telarc does have an incredible range in their recordings as most of them are DDD, which is probably as good as one can get. Anyway, enjoy and let me know some of your favorites too.

DD

• 1 month later...

Hi... sorry guys, but I just had to bump this up again to see if we have any other contributors to their favorite recordings of the "King of Instruments"... so, how about it guys, are there any other devotees of organ that might like to share their favorite recordings?

"King of Instruments"

Hi... sorry guys, but I just had to bump this up again to see if we have any other contributors to their favorite recordings of the "King of Instruments"... so, how about it guys, are there any other devotees of organ that might like to share their favorite recordings?

And then there's always that other organ . . . The True King of Instruments in my book! :p

I can't think of any favorite organ recordings, but I must thank my stars that I live in New York. There are so many wonderful pipe organs in some of the most beautiful churches and other spaces in this town. St. Thomas Fifth Avenue even has two complete organs, although one is on its last legs.

"King of Instruments"

Hi ChiTown... the real question is do you have any recordings, I guess it has to be HD Video of your "King of Instruments" that we can share, even if we can't play on it? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

DD - LMAO . . . I'm afraid that anything that I might be able to produce would pale in comparison to what JAG, Rich, Ken K. and others consistently post for our enjoyment.

When you refer to your "King of Instruments" are you talking about mine personally? If that's the case I know I have no videos that are "post worthy"! LOL :o

Hey ChiTown,

Yes, indeed... based on your prior comment, it seemed to me you were referring to your personal "King of Instruments".... You are probably just to modest, as I am sure your videos are "post worthy"... LOL But I do respect your modesty too.

Hey ChiTown,

Yes, indeed... based on your prior comment, it seemed to me you were referring to your personal "King of Instruments".... You are probably just to modest, as I am sure your videos are "post worthy"... LOL But I do respect your modesty too.

LMAO - Thanks DD, I'll have to give that some thought! :)

Archived