"Other Desert Cities"

Njbaseballjock
This topic is 4868 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Read a review today of a new play, "Other Desert Cities," which opened at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theatre at Lincoln Center last week. The cast includes Stockard Channing, Stacy Keach and Linda Lavin and the storyline sounds very enteraining and interesting. Has anyone seen it yet? I would appreciate any personal reviews. Limited run until the end of Fenruary.

I saw it in previews a few weeks ago and thought it really excellent - very involving, and all the actors are superb in their roles, as the Times review indicated. Worth seeing, but after that review and with the limited run, tix may be at a premium.

I am a member of Lincoln Center Theater. The call to order member tickets for this came while I was away this fall and when I returned I was informed that the run was sold out, that I would need to try for cancellation tickets. I tried almost every day, and then after reading Brantley's love letter to Baitz and the cast Friday I thought I would try again. Miracle...there was a ticket available for the next matinee. Lucky me.

Really lucky me. After picking up my ticket, I walked past the folks in the cancellation line, (been there, understood their eager desperation), and sat next to an elderly lady who had "turned it in yesterday, hoping to have a seat for my coat."

I am not a usual fan of Brantley, but he really got it right this time, and fortunately his review will probably guarantee an extension, because a lot of people should have the opportunity to see this marvelous play. The characters are so leveled and nuanced, that expectations were completely upset. I don't want to give anything away, just saying that the performances are really amazing. I was sorry that I was single because I would love to have found someone to invite for coffee afterwords to discuss, but the audience was laughably stereotypical for a Lincoln Center matinee. The lobby at intermission was awash with a swath of furs and canes. (And Christine Baranski, whom I told I was a fan.)

I know that Linda Lavin is doing Follies in DC this spring, (anyone else going?) but I don't know about the schedules of Stockard Channing or Elizabeth Marvel. But I can imagine that the producers are spending the holiday weekend trying to iron out extension and replacement contracts. (Hello, Christine Baranski...?)

Thanks so much, skynyc. I tried for tickets the other day and I had the same experience. No seats available for this limted run. So much for treating myself to the theatre for my birthday next month! Based on your experience, I will keep trying and hope for an extended run. In the mean time, I think I will try to get tickets for "That Championship Season". I saw the original many years ago and this is a powerful play with a great cast. Thanks again for the information.

Archived