Do you remember the pie thrown in the face of Anita Bryant?

bcohen7719
This topic is 3414 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have to disagree, LBT. A pie in the face didn't even come close to what I wanted her to suffer. So sweet...so loving...so freakin all American...so full of hate. The women still disgusts me.

Oh, no, the pie wasn't the ignominy. It was the whole "Bryant" laughing-stock persona. The pie was the cherry on top of the sundae. I still have trouble with Florida orange juice to this day.

Guest Wetnwildbear

Something to Spit On

Remember Anita Bryant, the vicious homophobe?

[video=youtube;dS91gT3XT_A]

Anita Bryant is still alive and well and She Still Hates You!

She is based in Oklahomo City, Oklahomo and can be found at http://anitabmi.org/

If you think the pie in the face was good - But Remember when her Husband divorced her and CAME OUT!

Now that was good!

I grew up in South Florida when she was at her pinnaccle, crusading against, dehumanizing and villifying gays

at the time when I was struggling with the loss of my father, supporting my mother, high school, working and

working, then college and working and all the while trying to come out.

She is at the top of the list of beings upon whom I would love to spit - a vile, hate-mongering beast who shields her

bigotry, hatred, ignorance and vitriole behind the banner of religion which she then wraps in, and with which she

defiles the flag.

A HAG from Hell - Who, if there is such a place shall surely return from whence she came to endure an eternity

of bad dye jobs, torn cuticles, and burlap couture inflicted upon her by her beloved HETERO beauty consultants -

BURN BITCH BURN!

And I mean that in the Most Lovely Way Possible.

I know she did terrible things. But why are we allowing her to terrorize us still? Things have changed. Less people align themselves with her now. Think of the thread recently on gay romance on screen and is it believable. My own conservative family has accepted things just fine. My mother swooned over that Glee duet with the two guys singin its cold outside and my sister and brother in law went to a gay wedding and told all of us about it with great happiness for their gay friends. One of us posted about how that duet got played in a mall and no one batted an eye lash. I think history is going to torment Anita much more than she can ever terrorize us. Lets put our energy into something positive and write her off, as she should have been years ago....

Guest Wetnwildbear

Write them off but Remember

I know she did terrible things. But why are we allowing her to terrorize us still? Things have changed. Less people align themselves with her now. Think of the thread recently on gay romance on screen and is it believable. My own conservative family has accepted things just fine. My mother swooned over that Glee duet with the two guys singin its cold outside and my sister and brother in law went to a gay wedding and told all of us about it with great happiness for their gay friends. One of us posted about how that duet got played in a mall and no one batted an eye lash. I think history is going to torment Anita much more than she can ever terrorize us. Lets put our energy into something positive and write her off, as she should have been years ago....

I agree we have made strides - But don't forget those who would GLEEFULLY steal that progress from us.

Just watch how the new Congress unfolds.

Forgetting Anita, Rush, Jerry Falwell, Gary Bauer, James Dobson, Mike Huckabee, Pope ______ (fill in the Blank)

ad infinitem, diminishes the sacrificies and courage(big and small) of those like Frank Kameny, Barbara Gittings,

Harvey Milk, George Moscony, Gerry Stubbs and countless 10,000's of others upons whose

sacrifice and suffering our progress is built.

Never forget or let others forget our history or it will surely repeat itself.

Speak for yourself!!

She may have terrorized you, but she was never worth my time or thought. :(

Speak for yourself!!

She may have terrorized you, but she was never worth my time or thought. :(

She didn't terrorize us as individuals--she attempted to sway public policy in a way that is hard to understand. Many rabid homophobes are men who are battling their own suppressed homosexuality. I know there are studies about male homophobes, but I've never read about any relating to female homophobes.

Could the guy who posted a note saying that Anita's husband came out of the closet & left her send a link to me?

It is very possible that it was this situation in her own marriage--and only this--that was the root cause of Anita's life-long pathological obsession.

Best wishes,

BC

• 3 years later...

I certainly remember the pie incident in early 1977. As a 15 year old, Anita Bryant kept me in the closet way longer than I should have let me kept myself in fear.

She certainly was an unhealthy role model. Now we have Florida's current Attorney General for the State of Florida. Between her and Rick Scott.......but I now know better, and so do so many other adults and parents, all which can now help confused teens figuring out the what/why of their sexual feelings and not be fearful of accepting(YouTube coming out stories help too):

From the Florida newspapers today:

Loser of 2014

Pam Bondi. It's hard to imagine how someone who won re-election so handily (rival George Sheldon could not afford a single TV ad) could emerge from 2014 more wounded and diminished as our Republican attorney general. Put aside the unseemly junkets funded by groups seeking to influence her. Bondi's clumsy communication skills and relentless defense of Florida's gay marriage ban have made her a modern-day Anita Bryant. Antagonizing Florida's gay voters over same-sex marriage and Hispanic voters over immigration reform ensures Bondi has a bright political future ahead of her — if she moves to Mississippi.

Adam C. Smith, Times Political Editor

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/gay-south-florida/article5072805.html#storylink=cpy

• 2 weeks later...

Attorney General Pam Bondi elusive as gay marriage becomes legal in Florida

Many same sex marriages occurred this week in Florida, as it now became legal in the state.

Attorney General Pam Bondi continued to fight against same-sex marriages until this week when it became obvious that her request to block would be overruled in the courts this last Monday, then she went "silent".

I love this quote from the below Herald article:

Since Dec. 1, Bondi’s office has received about 140 emails on gay marriage, with three out of four criticizing her actions to uphold the ban. Some compare her to Southern segregationists of the Civil Rights era, like former Alabama Gov. George Wallace.

“Do you recall seeing pictures of Gov. Wallace blocking the school doors so black children couldn’t enter?” an Ocoee resident wrote in a Dec. 16 email. “He was on the wrong side of history. So are you.”

Attorney General Pam Bondi elusive as gay marriage becomes legal in Florida

The entire Herald article can be read here:

I remember this VERY well (you couldn't order a screwdriver in any bar or brunch in the Village) Sadly Miss Bryant felt NO differently than half the country back then she was just stupid enough to be the face of it in that freshly post Stonewall era. A few years later my buddy got a job as a Dancer in her show (a job is a job lol) that toured the Midwest in all these gawd awful Holiday inns and convention center type places. I saw the show. It was equally gawd awful. But I got even. I DIDN'T PAY TO GET IN. So take that Anita :-)

Archived