"Three Pianos" in New York City

uwsman2
This topic is 4891 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At the NY Theatre Workshop in the East Village. "Three Pianos" is a 2+ hour dramatization of a "Schubertiad" during which three guys take us through Franz Schubert's song cycle "Winterreise". But this is not just a dramatized concert performance. In fact, few of the songs are just sung. It is a detailed exploration of the psyche of Schubert and his circle of (mainly gay) male friends and collaborators. The acting is startling, the musical insights daring, the entire evening an absorbing experience. And on top of everything else, in keeping with the theme of the "Schubertiad" (the private concerts devoted to Schubert's music during his lifetime), wine is liberally distributed to the audience throughout the performance.

Guest BrandonWilliams

Terrific review in the NY Times: http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/theater/reviews/21three.html?scp=2&sq=three%20pianos&st=cse

And according to a piece in today's paper, it has been extended one week and will now close January 16....two days before my first trip to NYC in the new year. I toyed with seeing it in November and am kicking myself for missing this.

Archived