I Love You Phillip Morris

uwsman2
This topic is 4904 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So this one was kicking around for quite a while looking for a distributor, and finally opened last week. I had some free afternoon time yesterday and went to a matinee. The audience mix was interesting - gay men of a certain age and blue-haired ladies, who especially appreciated the sex scenes, to judge by the "oh my" expressions. Especially when Jim Carrey is fucking a hot Latino toward the beginning.

Anyway.... so Jim Carrey is the gay con-man who falls in love with fellow Texas penitentiary inmate Ewan McGregor, who is very blond and blue eyed and Southern gentle in this role. Carrey is his usual frenetic self, but he really buffed up for some of these scenes. This is based on a book about a true incident. I thought the film was a bit of a mess, but diverting. Some have found parts of it offensive - that is, playing on "gay stereotypes" and some of the AIDS-related stuff - but what is comedy without stereotypes? The problem is that I didn't find it all that funny.

On the other hand, it's the only gay-centered film out there at the moment with major Hollywood Studio distribution playing in mainstream theaters. I wonder how it will do? As far as drama goes, it's no Brokeback Mountain.

Thanks for the heads up and the synopsis, uwsman. I saw "I love you Phillip Morris" on cable in Belgium a few months ago and I'm surprised that the opening in the US was only last week.

I found the movie entertaining with some light humor, quite a few stereotypes about gay man and there's of course the excellent acting of Jim Carrey which made it up for the rest. Pity that Jim's first boyfriend died of AIDS in the beginning of the movie, I wanted to see more of him. Ewan McGregor was a good actor, however I didn't quite identified myself to his character in the movie.

If you decide to go and see the movie, don't go with too much expectations. Here's the official trailer:

[video=youtube;XoFANivV44g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFANivV44g

Archived