University of michigan's disregard for animals

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 4921 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Because most people don't realize that it's not just rats and mice that are used in horrific research labs (and I am opposed to that as well), I thought I would shed some light on the blatant disregard for animals at the University of Michigan (although I could also shed light on many other universities as well). Even though alternative methods are available, and UM has these simulators, this university has still decided to take part in the following:

At the University of Michigan, cats--who in the past have been purchased by the UM from animal shelters--have a hard plastic tube repeatedly forced down their windpipes for intubation training and are frequently killed after the procedure. Pigs have holes cut into their limbs, throats, and chests and have needles stabbed into their bones and hearts for trauma-training exercises before they are killed. These cruel labs continue even though the university uses simulators to teach the same skills in other courses on campus.

If any should like to participate in the action alert to let UM know that this is not acceptable, or would like to read more information about this horrendous abuse, check out this link:

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3147&autologin=true

If you feel up to it here is another option:

Please take a moment to call UM President Mary Sue Coleman at 734-764-6270 and politely ask her to replace the use of animals in UM's Survival Flight course with modern and humane simulators that the school already possesses.

Archived