Bells Are Ringing

uwsman2
This topic is 4922 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

City Center Encores scores again! Bells Are Ringing.... The Times review this morning was a bit sour but off the mark. (Maybe the first performance they attended wasn't as good as the matinee I saw today.) Last chance on Sunday. That's the thing with NY City Center Encores. They excavate an old musical, thrown together a cast and put on a staged/costumed reading with full orchestra for a handful of performances. Kelli O'Hara is a great reason to see this, if you are in town tomorrow and can nab a ticket. But also Will Chase, who does a great job on the male lead - nice voice - and some of the chorus boys are hot, hot, hot!

I have not seen the Encores "Bells Are Ringing." But, O'Hara is being compared to the great Judy Holliday from whom the musical was written, and who also starred in the film. As kind as the critics are to O'Hara, many felt that her comic skills fell short of Holliday's. Brantley in the Times was in the lead in this, saying that people have been able to accept other stars in famous Ethel Merman parts ("Annie Get Your Gun," "Gyspsy"), but "Bells Are Ringing" seems to be the exception.... Judy Holliday owns "Bells Are Ringing." Uwsman2, what do you think?

Note: I did see Merman on stage in "Gypsy," but not Holliday in "Bells Are Ringing," except in the film

I saw this Friday night. I had never seen it nor the film so I was new to it. One of those nights where I thought I'd put and just stay in. But, I am so glad that I went. It was a great cast and a very fun evening. O'Hara is really great. At first I thought that Chase was a bit off, but quickly changed my mind and thought he did a great job.

Maybe they'll take it to Broadway.

They did do "Bells Are Ringing" on Broadway recently with Faith Prince, but not to good effect. It closed pretty swiftly. Sorta doubt they'd bring it back again so soon. However, that did happen with La Cage, having had two recent Bdwy incarnations. I sure would be up for seeing it. But there is only one Judy Holliday and one would have to go not expecting anything comparable (never saw the play but did recently see the film - amazing performances, even from the usually dull Dean Martin).

Agree that if you can go tonight, you should try. The show is a classic NY valentine that is as silly and improbable as it is sweet and infective. O'Hara is lovely as Ella, and truly is one of the best musical theater performers we have right now in the romantic leading lady category, lovely voice, strong dancer, with enough comic chops to pull off this rather complex role. It's never been sung so well. Also, Will Chase who has been in a myriad of flops, High Fidelity, Lennon, The Story of My Life, is finally allowed to shine here and is terrific. And Bobby Cannevale as a Brando-esque wannabe is worth the price of admission.

I suspect that Brantley's review will put the kybosch (is that really a word?) on a Broadway transfer, but perhaps that's for the best, as I don't think it could run for long...the book is just too ridiculous and outdated.

None the less, I LOVED it and would go again tonight if I could.

And unlike anything recent, you will walk out humming something from the score.

The way back machine.......

I am sorry to miss this. I always enjoyed this show. Great numbers like Simple Little System, Just in Time & The Party's Over. I agree that for many, the material would be dated since answering services are pretty much a thing of the past with the advent of answering machines and voice mail. Still, an entertaining piece of material.

Of course the plot is outdated by technology, but that's what gives the show its charm - and perhaps some nostalgia for the elderly among us. Today it is all automated, but back then one would deal with real live people when calling an answering service.

Archived