Women on the Verge/Free Man of Color

skynyc
This topic is 4930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For me, it was an interesting week with Lincoln Center Theater. Two major shows with lots of theatrical power, and both are quite polarizing pieces.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown is probably the most highly anticipated arrivals of the season, but it started getting lots of negative buzz with the first preview. The song list apparently changed almost daily throughout previews as they regrouped and tweaked.

While I don't think this was a sensational musical...there are definite flaws...I had a lot of fun. The cast is quite exceptional, and the homage to the film is terrific. The sets and projections almost make you feel like you're watching a movie. LuPone has a marvelous 11th hour number, and the "who-knew-she-was-a-comedienne" Laura Benanti will be remembered in May when Tony nominations come out, almost guaranteed. Brian Stokes Mitchell's role is greatly expanded from the film, and it's always great to hear him sing.

The biggest problem for me was the score. I am a huge fan of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Full Monty, both of which improved on repeated listening. I am hoping that this will be the same. Sherri Rene Scott, in the major role of Pippa has too many "this is what I am feeling" ballads while the rest of the cast get some knockout numbers, making Ms. Scott seem like an afterthought instead of the lead. Her only melodic song is upstaged by the burning bed. (Literally.)

There are lovers and haters of this show and I will definitely go back, but I don't think I can recommend it carte blanche to folks who go to the theater occasionally. It's running at the Belasco (which has been spectacularly renovated - almost to the point of "Go! Just to see the theater!") through January 23rd.

Free Man of Color is the new John Guare play, set in NoLa in 1801 is about Jacques Cornet, the son of one of the cities financial kingpins and a slave. When his father dies, Jacques inherits the family business and proceeds to run the town, to the chagrin of his white half-brother. But politics are tumultuous...with Spain, France, England and the newly formed United States all realizing the importance of this port city, and the attitudes towards African Americans is changing...fast.

The combination of John Guare and this historically interesting tale made me very eager to see this, but sadly, I fear this will become one of the flops of the season. I think the direction is a big part of the problem, with the cast screaming their lines for the fifteen minutes, and sitting on the side, it was still not easy to hear since director George Wolfe seemed to forget that there were many seats on the side, and it felt like the cast spent the entire time with their backs to me. Also, there was no real protagonist. Jeffrey Wright (who won a Tony playing Belize in the original Angels in America) works hard but the script doesn't allow Cornet to become a sympathetic character. A legendary philanderer with the wives of New Orleans (his prodigious endowment is talked about constantly, by all) he is ignorant of his own precarious position and when he falls, the general consensus is "well, he had it coming." And the rest of the huge cast make lots of costume changes and well, the audience is left caring for no one.

The second act gets very preachy and allowed me to count the seats of those who walked out at intermission. (81)

I was really sad that this was such a missed opportunity. It runs at the Vivian Beaumont until January 9th.

Archived