September 11 Condolences

alanalt
This topic is 7919 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, it's passed midnight (EDT) and now a year has passed since that awful day.

Many of you live in NYC and to you and to those who lost family and friends in that senseless attack, I offer my heartfelt condolences. Living most of a continent away (and in another country besides) I doubt I can truly know what you went through and can only imagine the impact on your life.

Throughout the day my thoughts will be with NYC, the US and indeed with all of you.

God bless America (and you all)

Alan

Guest dstud4hire

Try to commemorate today by doing something nice for someone else, and then for yourself...

There has been talk about creating a national holiday to commemorate this day, and at first I thought that is nonesense...senseless tragedies happen all the time, but certainly not to such a great extent....

then I was thinking today....what about a National Holiday...we could call it National Hero's Day. It would be a day inspired by this tragedy, for all the selfless acts of heroism shown ...by the fireman, the policemen, the gay priest, the business man who wouldn't leave the side of his colleague in a wheelchair, the people who just showed up to do their jobs, like flight attendants and pilots....whose throats were slashed to make way for terror, or working moms and dads who showed up to the Pentagon or the WTC...all are heros that day....but the beauty of such a day would be that it would commemorate heros however you yourself would define a hero....a brother , a sister, parent, or teacher who moved you in your life, those living with HIV or breast Cancer, and doing so with admiration and honor, a member of your clergy, our veterans, however you define a hero.....

but until that day comes, may today be a day of kindness to one another. My thoughts to all those heros, dead or alive, who emanated out of that awful day we rememeber as 9/11.

Godbless. :(

Guest gentle guy

Thank you, Alan and Gabriel.

I will spend the day alternating between work, memorial services, and supporting people more directly affected than I was. Knowing that others truly care will make this very difficult day a little easier.

As Gabriel said, do something nice for someone else, and then for yourself. And do them every day, not just today!

Guest Bitchboy

It seems incredible to me that one year has passed. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool New Yorker. I love this city more than any place on earth. I was here last 9/11 and hopefully I will be here until I pass on. I am terribly sad today. I'm not sure we learned as much as I had hoped from our experiences of last year. I resolve to be a kinder person this year, much like I had wanted for all of us after last year's tragedies. It's easy to forget; don't let me.

Guest dstud4hire

>It's easy to forget; don't let me.

After a plane crash years ago in which I lost some friends, I was very sad, and I ended up coming across a newspapers column that really moved me...it was all about never taking for granted the loved ones around you...I kept that column taped to my wall next to my computer desk for years....for fear that I might indeed forget that very lesson that we only seem to rememeber at a time like this. Find a piece of writing or a picture, something that particularly stirred you, and keep it somewhere special, and I can gaurantee that you will always rememebr those lessons you wish to rememeber. :)

Archived