Anna Netrebko

Guest alanm
This topic is 4944 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For those who do not know Anna is singing "Anna Bolena" in the 2011-2012 season on the Met.

http://www.operanews.com/Opera_News_Magazine/2010/11/Features/Anna_s_Voyage.html

In my opinion, Netrebko is one of the best actresses now performing in opera, although I am not quite as high on her bel canto singing.

I know Anna lives in Vienna, but did not realize how hugely popular she is in Germany and Austria -- far more so than in the U.S.

I am not quite as high on her bel canto singing.

She is a ravishingly beautiful woman... and a great actress... and in the right rep she can be as good as it gets... but I have been totally disappointed in her bel canto as evidenced by her Lucia and Puritani Elvira. Her trill is tentative and in Anna Bolena that final cabaletta is simply loaded with trills.... Also, I just don't see her having the requisite weight in her voice to pull it off... Well, I always hear Callas in this opera so most likely one else will ever totally satisfy me... so I probably am not the one to comment objectively on the sublect... Still a powerful if flawed voice can make it work as evidenced by the complete recording by Elena Suliotis... and she avoids all the trills, but compensates with a certain degree of power that I doubt Netrebko possesses... Incidentally, last season as Antonia in Les Contes d'Hofmann it was only her dying trill that disapointed me... but at least she did attempt it... unlike her avoidance of the embellishment in Puritani and Pasquale in earlier seasons.

In any event, am thrilled that the MET will finally be visiting the Donizetti Tudor Trilogy... it is about time!

Archived