Rally to Restore Sanity

jgoo
This topic is 4962 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think it is ok to post this here in "The Lounge" as the rally was supposedly not politically based. Probably a gray area. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone watched it yesterday (or even may have attended) and if there were any comments, reviews, observations, etc to share.

I thought one of the highlights was seeing Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) performing. I enjoy John Stewart but equally dislike Stephen Colbert (more of not appreciating his humor) so my overall reaction was mixed. Certainly impressed by the turnout.

Guest countryboywny

I caught about 45 minutes of it on TV. Loved the "train" sequence with Yusuf, Ozzie Osborne and the OJays. Would have loved to be there, looked like fun!

I was there yesterday. Beautiful day weather-wise. All fun, crowd-wise.

But, there was a dsiconnect between what was happening on stage, and the political enthusiasm in the audience. People had come from all over the country to have fun, and to express their political beliefs. I saw hundreds of signs (often very comical) in the crowd expressing anti-tea party sentiments and progressive support for many causes.

So A+ for the crowd, who had a very good time, despite the confusion on stage.

The rally started with The Roots and John Legend, following by way too long 'let's warm up the crowd' attics by "Mythbuster' hosts Adam Savage & Jamie Hyneman

and then Guigo Sarducci. It might have been fun for 15 mintes, but an hour was way too much time.

The highlight was Cat Stevens, Ozzy Osborn and O'Jays singing ("Peace Train"/"Love Train"). But, even this thrilling piece was somewhat spoiled by Stewart's and Colbert's antics (which probably looked funny on TV, but not to a crowd of about 100,000 who wondered why each performer never got a chance to finish a song).

I was great to see and hear Sheryl Crow and Tony Bennett. And Jon Stewart's closing remarks were witty, half funny/half serious.

Stewart/Colbert tried to follow Glenn Beck's 'non-political' rally. Sometimes it worked, more often the show seemed like a work in progresss.

But, I was very glad to have been there.

Archived