Driving Miss Daisy

skynyc
This topic is 4951 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this show years ago on 42nd St. (at the John Housman?) with Dana Ivey and Morgan Freeman. And then I took friends, and then I took more friends. Was sad for Ms. Ivey when Jessica Tandy was chosen to make the film, but understand. Thought the film was a terrific adaptation.

Was nervous about this Broadway nod for a couple reasons. First, the play is so intimate. Even at the smallish Golden I feared the stage would be too big for what was basically a kitchen table and three chairs which were mostly used as the car. I was also nervous that James Earl Jones was too "big" for the part; he has always seemed so much bigger than life...Big Daddy, Troy Maxson, even Norman Thayer, and of course Darth Vadar.

Well, the production is lovely and all three performers are terrific. Redgrave was terrific (although the Southern friend with whom I went said she spoke too quickly for a "real" southern girl.) And every year of the twenty-plus years she ages during the show was visible in her portrayal.

Mr. Jones was so real and believable and when he throws back his head and laughs at one point, I got choked up.

Boyd Gaines as Daisy's son Boolie makes much of a small part.

And the Golden theater didn't seem too big. (And I was in the second row of the rear mezzanine.) The play is still very affecting and yes, manipulative. But that's just the way I like 'em.

This show runs through Jan 2, 2011 and there are no current offers for discounts on the (too steep for a show with three actors) $126.50 price tag.

This

Archived