Women On The Verge of A Nervous Breakdown

edjames
This topic is 4956 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, the good news is I didn't hate it, the bad news is I didn't love it, either.

This musical adaptation of Pedro Almondovar's film, is a farcial romp that has it's moments but, for me, mostly falls short of it's expectations.

The music is nice, but fails to have you come out of the theater humming the tunes. Patti Lupone has one number, "Invisible", in the second act that comes close to stopping the show but doesn't. I longed for her to have some big ballardy song expressing her anguish and heartache, but the composer didn't come up with a tune.

The cast works hard and there are a few surprises here. Patti, as expected, mows everyone down with her comic portrayal of Lucia, the demented and deserted wife of 19 years, who becomes a national hero. Laura Benanti practically steals the show as the sexy, air headed Candela. Sherie Rene Scott plays the main character, Pepa, the recently dumped mistress. Danny Burstein, recently of South Pacific, plays the taxi driver, who opens the second act with a rousing number "Madrid," that sounded a bit more Brazilian that Spanish, to me. Also of note is the Broadway debut of Justin Guarini, season one runner up of American Idol, who is given a nerdish look (think Johnny Galeki as Leonard in The Big Bang Theory) and does a nice job as Carlos the stuttering son of Ivan and Lucia, however he is not given many opportunities to sing. Lastly, poor Brian Stokes Mitchell looks very sexy and gorgeous as Ivan the husband, lover and all around cad. His number "The Microphone" could have been better.

The dancing is adequate, but nothing spectacular. Lots of Flamenco-inspired bits. The cast is appropriately attired in 80's inspired costumes which resemble extras from a Lionel Ritchie video back in MTV days. Patti has lots of fun outfits and hats that she parades around in, and does a lot of sthick.

Sorry to say, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the critics will rave about this one. It's a Lincoln Center production, so it will have a run while the LTC subscribers get to see it.

The two next me me fled at intermission. The audience gave the cast polite applause at the end but no standing ovations or cheers.

ED

Finally, the Belasco Theater has been given a much needed rennovation and who knew there was such a lovely interior with tiffany glass lamps, murals and wood carvings under all that dirt and grime! The seats have been reupolstered but are still fairly tight. It's said the theater is haunted by David Belasco and he makes his appearances if he hates the show. No word yet if anyone has seen him backstage!

Archived