Mark Rylance does it again...

uwsman2
This topic is 4959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This guy was unforgetable in Boeing, Boeing, and now he's back to top that... with La Bete. I saw a preview yesterday. It's opening on Broadway this Thursday (Oct. 14). Rylance's portrayal of a somewhat crazy street performer in renaissance France is another unforgetable star turn - and hysterically funny. David Hyde Pierce provides great support to Rylance's lead and the production is superb.

La Bete & A Life In The Theater

This guy was unforgetable in Boeing, Boeing, and now he's back to top that... with La Bete. I saw a preview yesterday. It's opening on Broadway this Thursday (Oct. 14). Rylance's portrayal of a somewhat crazy street performer in renaissance France is another unforgetable star turn - and hysterically funny. David Hyde Pierce provides great support to Rylance's lead and the production is superb.

YES! Give Mark the Tony! A tour-de-force job of acting. A terrific cast including David Hyde Pierce and the always absolutely fabulous Joanna Lumley. 2 hours, no intermission.

Lousy and boring is right across the street. Mamet's "A Life In The Theater" sucks! I was bored to tears. Didn't find it funny or interesting. There are probably over 30 scenes and costume changes in this trite tale of an older and younger actor in a dilapidated repertory company's theater. Patrick Stewart and TR Knight try their best but it just didn't work for me. A mediocre story that really goes nowhere. Lots of Stewart (trekkies?) and many gay Knight fans in the audience. I thought the 2 queens behind me were gonna cream in their jeans when TR made his stage appearance. They screamed and yelled their approval. It was all downhill after that.

ED

I concur with the above...

A real tour-de-force performance...the first thirty minutes Rylance is on stage he is basically reciting a monologue, which DHP tries, unsuccessfully to interrupt. A friend told me that he hated the show, so I went in a bit leery, but I realize now that this friend and I often strenuously disagree. The fact that it's in verse is almost invisible since it is so well performed.

I loved the commentary on the popularity of art...with the idiotic, vulgar Valere winning the day. Very telling in this day of Real Housewives, Jerry Springer and Hoarders.

I saw the play when it was here in the early '90s. Liked it so much I went back. And will likewise go back again to this one.

Despite terrific reviews, there are still some deals out there. I got my tickets on tdf, and it was at the tkts board for today's matinee. It plays at the Music Box until 1/2/11. And the Music Box is an intimate little theater with nary a bad seat...although if you have very long legs, you are not going to want to sit in the mezzanine unless you are on the aisle.

Bad Seats!

Yes, people with long legs need to avoid the mezzanines in the old B'way theaters ... worse than the worst of the airlines.

The WORST Bway theater for seating is THE GOLDEN. Now home to "Driving Miss Daisy." It has the tightest and most uncomfortable seating of any Bway theater. It ranks No.1 on my list of theaters I won't sit in unless I have the aisle seat.

It will be interesting to see what they've done at City Center. It, too, had very uncomfortable seats. Will the recent rennovation include removing some seats/rows to make it better?

The new Sondheim theater has great seating, but I'm not sure I'll be running over there anytime soon to see Pee-Wee!

ED

Archived