Brief Encounter

edjames
This topic is 4978 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw the Roundabout Theater's production of Noel Coward's 1938 play last night at Studio 54.

What a marvelously entertaining and exciting adaption.

The story of two people who meet and fall in love in a railway station in England, the original play, is pretty much kept intact, while the creative director, Emma Rice, adds layers of music, sound effects, film, acrobatics, singing, dancing and puppets to the surrounding story. It was truly entertaining. If you liked "30 Steps," then this production will please you even more.

Fast paced, the production flies by at about 100 minutes without an intermission. The fun begins as you enter the theater.

Discounted seats are available.

ED

I second your recommendation. It's wonderful.

Question: after the performance I saw, the cast went to the back of the theater and had an incredibly fun jam session for maybe 15 minutes (with members playing the spoons, an accordion and a banjo), grabbing folk from the crowd and dancing with them. Did they do that when you saw it, too? I can't believe they'll be able to keep that energy up for every performance.

Kevin Slater

Archived