Orlando

skynyc
This topic is 4991 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Based on the story by Virginia Woolf, this started performances at Classic Theater Company on 13th and 3rd last week. I got a ticket on tdf for about $25. Not sure what to expect, this was really very enjoyable. 1:45 with an intermission it was well directed and interesting. And the themes of gender-bending were only accentuated by this adaptation, by Sarah Ruhl last represented on Broadway this spring with In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play. Visually arresting, narration was the primary storytelling vehicle, and while it could have strayed into pretentious, it was fun. David Greenspan whom I like, but can sometime mug too much, was just right as Queen Elizabeth and then a lascivious Grand Duchess, and his comic turn grounded the high artiness of it. (And since in the film the role was played by Quentin Crisp, Mr. Greenspan was understated. LOL) The rest of the cast was good, with Francesca Faridany as a very capable Orlando. I have read very little of Woolf, perhaps Mrs. Dalloway being the only thing...and now I want to read this, (in all my spare time.)

Archived