"Freedom" by Jon Franzen

Guest alanm
This topic is 4990 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Freedom" is a well-written topical novel about a small group of people resolving, or trying to resolve the kind of problems, most of us have every day.

Once you start "Freedom," it will not be easy to put to done (even to eat).

Yet when I finished "Freedom" on Labor Day, I moved on to to something else. That was a mistake.

By Tuesday I was rethinking some of the actions the main characters took. In fact, I am still wondering what I would have done -- something that almost never happens to me after reading a book.

You will not have trouble finding "Freedom" in any book store. Book store owners picked the book as a winner. In this case, I think they were right. Most definitely worth your time.

I started a thread in the Lounge sounding the alert about a new biography of Samuel Steward, thinking the Lounge rather than Comedy & Tragedy would be the place to discuss a book. I had thought this forum was for films, theater, and the like. Or is it going to be our general cultural discussion forum? Daddy, how should these categories work out?

I've heard very good things about "Freedom," but haven't got around it to it yet. His prior novel was a great read!

uwsman2: I posted about "Freedom" because the Comedy and Tragedy Forum is listed as the place for "the arts: literature, theater, music, art and dance, not television or pop music." Also, several others have posted about books in this forum.

I do understand the confusion because about 95% of the posts here have been about Broadway, Mozart or opera.

The big O is upset.

While not announced yet, a copy of Freedom with an "Oprah's Book Club" sticker appeared on the web. FSG, the American publisher has not commented, but several Canadian sites (where the book is published by Harper) have confirmed it.

We all can imagine how much she dislikes her big reveal being leaked.

Archived