Angels In America - Off Bway Signature Theater

edjames
This topic is 4888 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Signature Theater Company is mounting a production of "Angels in America" beginning next month and running through January. Much to the delight of many theatergoers, they are offering $20 seats!

Now, don't jump up and log onto your computers and attempt to purchase any, because they were snapped up within minutes of going on sale yesterday morning at 10AM. In fact, at 10AM you couldn't even get onto the website! Trying to call the box office was just as futile. The number was busy, busy, busy.

Alas, I could not get to the box office until the afternoon and when I got there I wasn't surprised to see a line of about 60 people waiting for tickets. Most had tried earlier in the day to get through via the internet or phone but gave up. (It was nice that I wound up standing next to a very attractive young man and we struck up a lovely conversation, till we both decided that the wait was too long and gave up..but that's another tale for another time.)

I was amazed that they had only 2 people assisting customers. You can imagine the long and tedious wait because by 3PM most performances were sold out, so everyone was scrambling to see that was available. By this time the $20 seats were gone, so customers were told that the $20 seats were gone and only some full-price $85 seats or $150 Premium seats were available. Once again, most performances at this small theater holding only 140 seats were sold out.

The Signature Theater Co was woefully underprepared for the onslaught of demand yesterday and did a poor job preparing for this ticket sale. For those of you planning on seeing this production, go to their website and check to see if tickets are available for any dates, mosty in January, for this production.

It's interesting to note that the production hasn't even begun and it is already almost sold-out, and I wonder if it's popularity will spark the creative minds at the Signature Co to think about moving it to another theater after it's run ends in January?

ED

• 4 months later...

Angels Pt1

At long last, six months later, I finally saw "Angels-Pt1" yesterday afternoon. While the blizzard was raging outside, the show, which has been extended several times, was not a disappointment. Although a little long, it runs 3hrs and 15 minutes, with 2 short intermissions, it was still a riveting tale. A lot has happended in the treatment of AIDS since this show first debuted, so it was interesting to compare the tragedy and devastation of the initial crisis to today's medical breakthroughs. Although far from a cure, most HIV+ cases have hope to live much longer lives with proper treatment and meds.

That said, the cast is A+. Loved Zachery Quinto (Dr. Spock from Star Trek), Eric Bryant (who replaced Christian Borle yesterday afternoon) and Billy Porter.

The only "dated" part of the show was the role of Roy Cohn. I wonder how many in today's world remember this vile little creature?

Tomorrow night is Part 2 and no snow in sight!

ED

Archived