Books - Camelot Lost - Charles Scaglione, Sr (The Story Behind Rounds)

edjames
This topic is 5040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hate when books are poorly written and this one is a hot mess! It's almost as if no one in RoseDog Books in Pittsburgh even bothered to read this before they sent it off to the publisher. They did probably run it through SpellCheck and created a bunch of problems. For example, when the author mentions Wayland Flowers and Madame coming into the bar, his name is spelt Waylen. There are other glaring grammatical and spelling errors that are too numerous to mention.

I do have to say, reading it took me down memory lane and I remember well many of the people mentioned in the book. Seymour was a fixture in many NYC gay bars and he had the title "Juice Bar King" for a while after he was unable to get a liquor license. I saw former Rounds doorman Tony just a few months ago on the M102 bus headed down Lexington Ave.

There was only one glaring revelation about some of Rounds celebrity customers. A thinly veiled reference to George Segal! Who knew? The rest, Truman Capote, Andy Warhol, Calvin Klein, Vladimir Horowitz were all well known for their jaunts around town. I met Calvin one night at the Mineshaft!

Anyway, I don't think I'd recommend this one but if you have an interest in gay history, Rounds certainly qualifies for its place. I expected more and was disappointed.

ED

Archived