Has anyone tried this skyrest travel pillow?

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5077 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this in the Skymall catalog and was wondering if anyone has bought one...

http://www.skymall.com/images/products/DCE/96981577d.jpg

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=96981577&c=

The online reviews are almost all very positive with only one real negative one thrown in..

I am planning on a return trip to Rio in November, with about a 10 hour overnite flight from Houston to Rio..I typically have trouble sleeping on planes, even on the rare occasion when I have flown first class. Since this trip will be using my airline miles, and I only have enough for a coach ticket, so I thought it might help me get some rest during the long flight..Any first hand experience from anyone????

I saw the same ad too and wondered - but I once tried thagt position a LONG time ago and it did not help. Something about sleeping leaning forward in a sitting position did not help me at all.

I also wonder about how one carries the damn thing, and where do you store it for a meal? Given ovehead bins on long-distance flights are filled to the max, this would be a real problem. I still find the commfy neck ring pillow the best for me.

Guest greatness

oh

You pump air into it. You can always deflate it when not in use. I have never used it though. I can pretty sleep in any position and I read when I travel so time flies. Find an interesting book and take some aspirin with you. I support my lower back with a pillow. Neck ring pillow seems nice but have never tried one. I hope you have a safe trip~~~~ Kisses and hugs~~~

I also wonder about how one carries the damn thing, and where do you store it for a meal? Given ovehead bins on long-distance flights are filled to the max, this would be a real problem. I still find the commfy neck ring pillow the best for me.

Not Advised

I don't think you would be happy with that. If it were so good, you would see it sold in all the airports at the shops. I suggest a good neck ring pillow, a good book and a prescription sleeping tablet, but not too strong. Also, drink lots of water and go very easy on the alcohol. One drink at 35,000 feet is worth two or three on the ground, plus it is dehydrating. Air in planes is very dry, so part of the problem of not sleeping is not having enough liquid to keep you hydrated. 7Up or something similar also helps your electrolyte balance. Don't drink caffinated drinks or coffee!

It is very important to get up and walk around during those long flights. I have traveled a lot internationally, usually about 150,000 miles a year, so I know from whence I give advise!

When you check in for your flight, ask if they have any business class seats available for an upgrade. Even though you may use miles, you may be able to talk them into an upgrade for a small amount of money if they have unused seats. I was able to do that on a UA flight from Sydney to LA and went from business to FC for a very small amount of money. It was worth it to have the new "lie flat" seats which make into a bed (180degrees).

Have a wonderful time. Wish I were going too.

I agree with the notion of NOT taking too strong a sleeping pill or too much alcohol, etc. After all, you are a passenger in transit with potential risks if something negative happens. Not to suggest it will. The statistics indicate otherwise BUT if you happen to be on board a flight that DOES have a problem you do not need to be dopey or otherwise less than fully alert. That does NOT mean to not relax and enjoy the flight or sleep but it should be a natural sleep as much as possible.

Some people are able to sleep and rest on flights and others do not. Do not worry if you cannot. Just try to adjust your schedule when you arrive to take whatever into account. You WILL sleep when you are tired (enough). There are any number of books and articles that suggest ways and means to adjust before you leave to changes in time zones as well as climate. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Moving around during a flight is certainly good to prevent DVT and we certainly wish to avoid those kinds of complications, don't we?

The airlines don't really have a handle on how to deal with passengers on a long flight or they would not offer "heavy" meals, too much alcohol and movies to distract the most mentally agile. If pressed, they will offer additional beverages to allay dehydration and also offer "moral" support to those who are just suffering from the long voyage. What they really need to do is get everyone involved in physical therapy for at least a significant portion of the trip. Everyone out of their seats, now stretch, now bend, now walk, everyone, up and down. ETC. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Traveling Man

I am on the road about 30 weeks out of the year and I have learned to sleep anywhere in about any position possible.

Not too long ago I was flying from Atlantic City to West Palm Beach and the person sitting next to me had one of these pillows.

By the time she was done blowing the damn thing up the flight was almost over and then when she just started to fall asleep on it....after two Bloody Mary's, it must have had a leak and deflated and almost smothered her.

I hate to admit it, but it was fun watching it slowly deflate and surround her head....made the flight go faster

OMG that story is hysterical! looking at the picture of that thing it appears HUGE. How awkward it would be sitting in the chair next to anyone's face snoring away on the unsightly pillow right next your yours while you are trying to read or eat! ugh!

I am on the road about 30 weeks out of the year and I have learned to sleep anywhere in about any position possible.

Not too long ago I was flying from Atlantic City to West Palm Beach and the person sitting next to me had one of these pillows.

By the time she was done blowing the damn thing up the flight was almost over and then when she just started to fall asleep on it....after two Bloody Mary's, it must have had a leak and deflated and almost smothered her.

I hate to admit it, but it was fun watching it slowly deflate and surround her head....made the flight go faster

Archived