If I hated the movie The Birdcage

dfw2sfo
This topic is 5082 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I too disliked the the movie The Birdcage, but have seen three different productions of La Cage and have thoroughly enjoyed each of them The current production has a charm that the original didn't have, but at the same time it is not as grand in the dance numbers. I would say, go and see La Cage and forget about the movie.

I was persuaded by a friend to see the current revival of "La Cage..." on a recent visit to NYC. I am not a Jerry Herman afficianado, and I did not like the film (though I did not loathe it). I went to make a friend happy. When I left the theater, I was the one who was happy. Douglas Hodge is simply superb as Albin, he richly deserved his Tony. The rest of the cast and the concept of the production are all fine. That being said, It is not Sondheim or Samuel Beckett, it is a french farce painted in very broad strokes. But both Kelsey Grammer and Doug Hodge give excellent performances far superior to the portrayals of the same characters by Nathan Lane and Mr. Williams.

Here is a youtube clip- skip to 5:00 minutes in to hear Douglas Hodge sing "I am what I am"

It may help you decide.

Fan

I agree with Body2Body. It's better than the Birdcage because there are times you actually believe it. No Gay Drag club in the 80s, and certainly not in the 70s when this production is set, would be as chi-chi and open, as glitzy and glamorous, as polished and poised as the previous productions. This is much more genuine. Think the drag clubs in Key West now. Not so glitzy or hot...but more for the entertainment of "open-minded folks". Here it's all a little seedy, a little shoddy...you can see that the "boys" are probably hustling for tips after the show. Albin (Douglas Hodge) is perfect as the aging queen who has found his niche and knows exactly how to work it. He totally deserved the Tony.

Kelsey Grammar is fine...although it's known that even though he has a lot of gay friends and is very gay friendly, he admits to giving a lot of money to the Republican party who would love to see us sent to camps.

Don't hold the Birdcage against the story...this is a frist class revival of a second class club with third class performers.

Despite being directed by Mike Nichols, The Birdcage was for many a huge disappointment. I think that both Robin Williams and Nathan Lane's acting styles are too broad and slapstick to get into these characters. Nothing will replace the original movie version. I have one freind who refuses to see any other productions of La Cage because of her love of the original movie. That said, I saw the recent London version and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am seeing the Broadway version next week and I am told I am going backstage to meet the Cagelles! BTW, did you know that Broadway hunk Nick Adams is a Cagelle?

http://www.beersteak.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nick-adams-naked.jpg

ED

play vs. musical

The original play and movie, and the American remake, were two distinctly different products. And the musical is something else again. If you didn't like the American movie, don't assume anything about what you would think of the original French movie or of the musical, unless the reason you didn't like the American movie is because the entire premise of the plot turns you off. Different directors, different casts, different scripts, different experience....

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg
The original, French version is an hilarious farce, beautifully played.

I agree wholeheartedly. What made it even more special was that it was released in 1978 or so.

At that time, WOW.....it was amazing and thrilling to see such a plot on the screen. It played here in Toronto for well over 2 years (I think here longer than any other city in the world) and all of my gay friends saw it least 3 or 4 times over the years.

Here's a little snippet from youtube.

I also hated Birdcage. It lost so much of what was its charm. The original French film La Cage... was incredible. Now that said I saw the original production on broadway and the remake and I can say I left enjoying each for the smart and sexy and loving way it was portraited. That said remember (from my tag line alone) Im a Herman Fan. Hell I loved Mack & Mabel

Archived