L. Brownlee, N. Gunn, David SF

whipped guy
This topic is 5051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After hearing tenor Lawrence Brownlee live recently in Armida, I decided to investigate some of his recordings. There is a Barber that was recorded several years ago that was never widely promoted in the USA, but it is available as an import. I got a copy from Amazon for about 12 bucks and he is quite good. Elina Garanca is a fine Rosina and the Figaro is Nathan Gunn… and while he is quite good (and better than that) he is not really the Figaro of one’s dreams… he is the definitely the Figaro of one’s wet dreams. I couldn't resist so here is a pic of him as Billy Budd:

http://www.thestandingroom.com/blog/images/nathangunn/BillyBuddSF1.jpg

All things considered, it is one of the better recordings or Rossini's most popular opera.

In addition, I also obtained the just released Naxos recording of Rossini's L’Italiana in Algeri. Brownlee is awesome and almost steals the show from the Italian girl of Marianna Pizzolato. Alberto Zedda conducts and adds a lot of percussion to the critical edition… but he specializes in this repertory so I guess he knows what he is doing. For the asking price it is well worth the investment.

At any rate, Brownlee has become a favorite of mine… Juan Diego Flórez watch your back!

Also, there must be some sort of Brownlee/David SF connection…

I see Brownlee live, meet David SF the next day, and am enthralled by both.

I spend part of the weekend listening to Brownlee recordings and David is Coverboy Monday morning…

I think I see a pattern here!

• 2 weeks later...

More Brownlee

Glad to see another LB fan... yes let's refer to him as LB... if there is a JDF there can be an LB... and one can indeed appreciate both... but I think Brownlee has the more attractive voice.. while Juan Diego Florez has a flashier technique.

I must also alert such fans to in house live recordings of Brownlee available from www.premiereopera.com and especially recordings of L'Elisir d'Amore and Semiramide from the 2009 Caramoor Festival. The sound is quite clear if a bit distant as the recordings were made form the audience. He is quite a sweet sounding Nemorino in the former, and gives a coloratura tour de force in the latter. Recommended also for the scholarship of conductor Will Crutchfield in both scores.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Milan a week ago for 3 days, and I coincided with Joyce DiDonato being there to sing Rosina in Barbiere at La Scala.

I know her quite well, and I was happy to get a ticket to see her on opening night on July 9th, with Lawrence Brownlee (ok for LB!) as the Count.

Unfortunately the opening night was cancelled for a strike just few hours before (Italy...), so I proposed to Joyce and her hunky Italian husband to go instead to enjoy a great pizza in a fantastic place I know close to La Scala. They told Lawrence to join us, so I had the opportunity to meet him and spend a very relaxing nice evening chatting with the three of them.

He is also a very nice guy apart from being a great singer (as Joyce DiDonato is, I am a GREAT fan of hers!) and even if I was disappointed not to be able to see them on stage, I am glad I met him and that I introduced them to the greatest pizza in Milano! :)

Great Story

Sciopero (strike) was one of the first the first words that I learned when I visited Italy many years ago… The airline baggage handlers were on strike and I had to go into the belly of the plane to retrieve the luggage… of course I was much younger back then… plus our luggage was all the way in so I ended up being baggage handler for the rest of the passengers.

Still what a wonderful story… Xaf… I am so envious of you… envious in a good way that is!!!! That must have been quite an interesting gathering... and both of them are special favorites of mine as well.

Also, my philosophy has always been to try and turn something bad into something good… This is a perfect example… and especially since some good food entered into the equation as well! I am sure that Rossini, while disappointed that his opera was canceled, being quite the bon vivant and gourmand himself, was looking down approvingly and smiling at the four of you sitting there and enjoying the best pizza in town!

Archived