Egypt, Cario

tealady
This topic is 5076 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was there last October. There was a heat inversion so it was hot as blazes (114 F). Also, it was very smoggy as they were burning crops. That said, It was one of the most memorable places I have ever been. You have to go to the Egyptian Museum. It will take your breath away when you see all the artifacts they have and just how old they are. I can't imagine how they were able to carve all the statues with the tools they had, and the opulence of some of the jewelry is unreal.

And, obviously, you have to go to the pyramids and the Spinx. I went inside one of the pyramids (costs very little). It is difficult to get into the center because you have to almost duck walk, and once there, there is nothing there. But, I am so glad I did it. The history is mind blowing!

I was there only for two days, but I am sure at least another day would have been helpful.

Have a great time!

has anyone here been to egypt, any thoughts on Cario and what to do? how many days do one need to see Cario?

In May of 2007, I took an eighteen day tour (Grand Circle Travel out of Boston) to "Egypt and the Nile." I had a magnificent time although structured. I think we spent five days in Cairo and a mere day in Alexandria, but two or more days are required in order for one to gain as much as possible from this (my preferred city.

We cruised the Nile for five days, stopping off for a day in Luxor as well as Aswan.

Although I enjoyed this experience overall-- my meeting any of those humpy and hunky Egyptian men was for naught. Egypt is too homophobic, and I definitely DID NOT want to wind up being imprisoned. The "gay" vibe or one's trying to hook up was so, so misleading for me.

I wore my sun glasses and took in the eye candy, and that was all in this department.

I liked the cultural and historical components.

has anyone here been to egypt, any thoughts on Cario and what to do? how many days do one need to see Cario?

Cairo is incredibly congested with traffic and otherwise dusty, dirty, and noisy. The Egyptian museum is superb and you should at least read through a good book about the museum before you go in rather than just wandering past the 1000s of objects - you won't really know what you are looking at and can easily miss some treasures. I made two trips to my museum- one with a group tour where we basically were left on our own and a second where I hired a guide just outside the museum to take me through. I paid about $40 for a 2.5 hour tour that was incredibly informative. I suppose you could get a so-so guide: I "auditioned" this guide by showing him a couple of pages from the book I was using and had him tell me about some objects of interest. It was a good strategy. Alos, spend the $20 to see the mummies in the muesum.

This strategy of renting professional services (should be familiar here) really paid off for me.

I would probably spend 3 days in Cairo (Giza pyramids included), 2 i in Alexandria, and 2-3 near Luxor. Definitely should see Abu Simbell (sp) too - a plane flight from Luxor or Aswan (where you will take a Nile cruise).

Biggest hint about Egypt - Sunscreen followed by read some history before you go to get the context of it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Travelling in Egypt

I spent 30 days travelling around 2 years ago. There is plenty of boys for cheap (taxi drivers; felucca sailers; walking along the corniche etc etc. ) and there is plenty to see. They will usually not kiss and they will not be fucked BUT if you want to blow men and get fucked--you can get a smorgasborg. Warning--they do cum quickly so be prepared for that. BEST trip would be: 3 days in Cairo; after Cairo get a driver to take you out to spend 2 nights out with the Bedouins in the White and Black dessert (go to the Bahai oasis) -- these deserts are one of the most amazing places in the world; drive back to Cairo and FLY to Luxor and spend 2 days; then take a tour bus from Luxor to Aswan which stops at sights enroute and then spend 2 days in Aswan (my favorite town). After Aswan take a flight to Abu Simbal in the morning and see THE MOST AMAZING OF THE ANCEINT SIGHTS and then fly from Abu Simbal in the Afternoon to Cairo--no need to stay overnight at Abu Simbal. Spend 1 last night in Caior and then fly home. Skip Alexandria and Sharm/Beach. Definately take a felucca in Aswan; definately have a drink at the Cataract hotel in Aswan on the balcony; def see the Museum in Cairo; def get to pyramids EARLY just as they open--I spent 10 minutes inside by myself because of this; see the light show in Luxor--corny but quite informative. I loved Egypt and I loved the sex in Egypt! and once you start you will get better at hunting as you go along! Bluboy

Archived