Fleming & Farrell

Guest alanm
This topic is 5097 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest alanm

With all the talk about Renee Flemings' new rock album, "Dark Hope" --- tomorrow's print edition of the New York Times has a front page article in the Arts & Leisure section by Anthony Tommasini with another article inside by Jon Pareles, perhaps it's time to remember that Eileen Farrell set the standard for crossover albums by opera singers 50 years with "I've Gotta Right to Sing the Blues."

To be fair Tommasini gives Farrell full credit, and mentions that Farrell's work in popular culture tainted her in the eyes of impressarios like Rudolf Bing. Tommasini: "......although today an opera singer with such media exposure would be coveted."

http://www.amazon.com/Gotta-Right-Sing-Blues-Farrell/dp/B0000027JG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275156284&sr=1-3

It tainted her in my eyes as well

Farrell's work in popular culture tainted her in the eyes of impressarios like Rudolf Bing. Tommasini: "......although today an opera singer with such media exposure would be coveted."

About a month ago I listened to Beverly Sills' Tudor Trilogy while on vacation... and to be honest of he supporting players the performance that impressed me the most was Farrell's assumption of Elizabeth I in Maria Stuarda... followed by Shirley Verrett's Jane Seymour in Anna Bolena. The voice is in quite good shape, and even though she traces the coloratura in a careful manner, she sings the part with power and with the feeling that she would be able to ratchet things up a notch or two quite easily. I recall remarking at the time that the recording was initially released that Farrell was a "strange" choice for the role.... but it proved to be an inspired choice. Plus, she is the true soprano that Donizetti most likely had in mind... actually she is more apt for her role than is Sills for hers. Still, at the time I thought of Farrell as being a washed up opera singer who was now appearing on TV singing more popular fare. The recording proved me wrong... and it came rather late in her career to boot. So she certainly still had it all together as late as 1971 when she was 51.

Guest alanm

Here's the main article on Renee Fleming from the Sunday Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/arts/music/30crossovers.html?ref=arts

I look forward to listening to the Sills Tudor Trology.

I am an Eileen Farrell fan to the extent that I remember her singing the songs from her crossover albums on the Garry Moore, Jack Paar and Ed Sullivan Shows in the early 1960s. Back then I knew very little about opera. In fact, Beverly Sills was the star of the first opera I ever saw --- at the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center, a Rossini opera in 1974.

Archived