New Callas DVD...Well Hopefully!

whipped guy
This topic is 5009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Xafnndapp made reference to this recently discovered material that was teasingly posted on You Tube in the “New Callas Recording” hoax thread a while back… I quote that post here:

At any rate, I received the following email from Divina Records today and thought that it would be of interest to others who can't get enough of La Divina… and should act accordingly regarding what I have hi-lighted in red!

Also, those who are not familiar with Divina Records should check out their website as well... Highly recommended!

Dear customers,

This time I would like to let you know that an amazing 16mm film was discovered in the United Kingdom by Mr. Peter Smallwood. Its content is the following:

Casta diva

Norma,Vincenzo Bellini

Chelsea at Eight

Chelsea Palace Theatre, London

John Pritchard, conductor

September 23, 1958 Sì, mi chiamano Mimì

La bohème,Giacomo Puccini

Wood Green Empire Theatre, London

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Malcolm Sargent, conductor

October 3, 1959

Mr. Smallwood would realease a DVD *only* if he receives enough requests to his email: pg.smallwood@btopenworld.com

This film will be a great adition to the Callas legacy so you can help sending him an email requesting the release of the DVD.

Mr. Smallwood has created a website: www.mariakallas.com with some information about the DVD, but it often goes offline.

I am not related with Mr. Smallwood, I just want this DVD is released for all us Callas lovers.

Thanks so much in advance,

Pablo D. Berruti

DIVINA RECORDS

www.divinarecords.com

pberruti@divinarecords.com

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know what ever happened with this?

The link to the website does not work.

Actually I heard from the guy at Divina Records (Pablo Berruti) that the project is for moment on hold, because of the instability of this man who has the original reels, as whipped guy pointed out.

F*CK HIM!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chicagokok

Someone that is familiar with the case sent me some video of it which was made by the smallwood person. From what i have seen, it is a real shame he is hoarding it. The british telecast where these come from also had her performing 2 other arias, so one would hope that they also survive.

Guest Chicagokok

Yes these arias come from British TV and the audio versions of them are widely available. In the 1958 telecast she sang "Casta Diva" (of which smallwood has the film) and "un bel di;" and in the 1959 telecast she sang "Mi chiamano Mimi" (of which Smallwood also has film of) and "L'altra notte..."

I wonder if he has film of the other 2 arias that were on the shows???

I have about 30 to 50 seconds of each aria that he has and the quality if very good for the time. Shame he is hoarding them.

I wonder if he has film of the other 2 arias that were on the shows???

During his volatile appearence on youtube I interchanged a few emails with him, and he said that the only survived telecast were Norma and Boheme, unfortunately.

But even MORE unfortunate is that he decided not to release those either!

Guest Chicagokok

IF he had the others, I would imagine he would give us hints about that as well, but everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

The video clips I have of them, that he made, have a very eerie, creepy quality.

Archived