Live Broadcasts to the States from London Theaters

Guest alanm
This topic is 5115 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest alanm

"The Habit of Art" is the play that Ed recently saw in London about Britten asking Auden to participate in his new opera "Death in Venice." In the interest of full disclosure, I read about this on the site http://www.talkinbroadway.com in a post by Jesse21 in the All That Chat section.

"The Habit of Art" has been broadcast live from London to American movie theaters (as with the Met Opera HD telecast). There are rebroadcasts of the play. I am seeing it in Bryn Mawr, PA on May 16.

You may also sign up at the site below for news of upcoming theater broadcasts.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/56921/venues-amp-booking/us-venues-for-the-broadcast-of-the-habit-of-art.html

thanks, I forgot all about that...

Thanks for posting this information, I forgot all it. I was informed of the braodwcast while I was in London and it went right out of my head with all the fuss and bother of the airport closings. I'd definitely see the show again..

ED

Interestingly I just read an article regarding real-time and delayed satellite broadcasts of opera. The piece referred to the "MET Opera and imitators". Now I am not sure if the MET was the first to pioneer this idea, but it certainly was the first time I had ever heard of such a concept. The question was posed as to how commercial releases (be they be made available via disc or download) would be influenced by the increasing availability of these performances.

Now the article only mentioned “stage performances”, which in the context specifically referred to opera. I was not aware that theatre was also available via this relatively new way of bringing the arts to the masses. Perhaps concerts are or will be available as well.

Guest alanm

I mentioned the London play at the Byrn Mawr theater next month.

The theater is also showing two operas from La Scala: "Simon Baccanegra" with Domingo, in his first performance since surgery, and "Das Rheingold" next month. I saw the Paris Opera's new production of "Das Rheingold" at the Opera Bastille in March, so I might give the Milan version a try. There was so much to hear and see in the Paris Rheingold, I wish I could have gone back a second night.

But, I was lucky to get the first seat (at 110 euros).

The theaters showing the plays/operas are a strange mix, other than Bryn Mawr, those closest to Philadelphia are in Allentown and State College (Penn State).

Thank you for the heads up on " The Habit of Art". I saw it at a Theater in Hollywood tonight, and it was wonderful. A brilliant play, brilliantly performed. It was nearly sold out in a large Theater in a Hollywood multiplex. I will be back in June for " London Assurance".

A great evening of Theater for $20, what a nice surprise.

Archived