London theater

edjames
This topic is 5119 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just returned from London where, thankfully, I was only delayed retuning to NYC by one day, but I can attest to the stress and frustration most US citizens felt with the lack of news and assistance while in London, but that's another story for another time.

I arrived last week and went to see” War Horse” on Thursday evening at the National Theater on Drury Lane. This is an amazing production. Words like "brilliant," "inspiring," and "emotional" do not do it justice. One of the best plays I have ever seen!

The staging, direction and cast are all wonderful. The story of a young boy who gets a young horse to train in rural England in the time before WW1, he becomes attached to the horse and is dismayed when after a couple of years and the outbreak of the war his father sells the horse to the army infantry. The horse is shipped off to the front lines. The young boy, now aged 16, is so dismayed by the loss of his animal, he lies about his age, enlists in the army to go in search of his beloved pet. The gripping reality of the war and its effect on men and animals soon becomes apparent. I won't go on in any detail because the good news is that this production is transferring to Lincoln Center, this fall, I think. If it receives the good reviews it got in London it will be a big success. The horse, btw, are portrayed by what can only be described as Julie Taymor-inspired puppets. It takes three people to manipulate the horses and quite frankly, I soon forgot that they were on stage as the horse puppets took on a life of their own. A truly inspiring show.

Friday night took me to the Comedy Theater to see beloved actress Felicity Kendall in George Bernard Shaw's classic “Mrs. Warren's Profession”. A lovely show with a good cast, it looks like it is on its last legs as the theater was only about half-full and up on the half-price board at Leicester Sq. However, Felicity was great and it was an honor to see her on stage. BTW, if you're not familiar with the show Mrs. Warren is a Madame running a number of houses of prostitution on the continent. She comes back to England to visit her daughter who has grown up and they have a confrontation about her Mother's true life.

Saturday afternoon I went to the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden and saw an exquisite production of Cinderella. The cast, led by Japanese ballerina, Yuhui Choe, was lovely. Sergei Polunin portrayed Prince Charming and, well, all I can say, is that is some package Sergei struts around on stage! His tights couldn't contain his "charming" assets! The step sisters, in drag, Alastair Marriott and Jonathan Howells, were hysterical. Loved this production!

The weekend was spent renewing old acquaintances. The purpose of my trip was to attend a celebration in honor or the late, great British singer, Dusty Springfield, with whom I had a long acquaintanceship with. Not wanting to blow my own horn, I am considered to be the leading American authority on her music, career and life. My UK pal, Paul, is THE authority. I have contributed to several books on Dusty's life and music. That said, I went to party on Saturday night and another on Sunday and met many of her fans, friends and former colleagues, and despite trying to maintain a low profile about my visit, word seemed to speread and many of Dusty fans approached me. happily I made some new friends and got to meet some folks who I have known for 45 years, including my teenage penpal, Moira, but never met personally. It was a lovely weekend.

Finally, on Monday evening I made my way to the National, again, across the Thames to see Alan Bennett’s "The Habit of Art" with the great actor Richard Griffith, Alex Jennings and Frances de la Tour. This is an absolutely hysterically funny play about the rehearsal of a play about the last days of the life of notoriously gay poet WH Auden. Auden has reestablished his residence at Christ Church after a long stay in America. He has become a very old man afflicted with a disease which has left his face ravaged with lines and crevices. He is visited by his old gay pal, composer Benjamin Britten, with an offer of collaboration on the opera “Death In Venice,” but when a rent boy, ordered by Auden rings the bell the fun really begins. I truly hoped for more action! I am told it is transitioning to Broadway, so RUN, don't walk, to see this! I hope the original cast comes along because they are all extremely good. The rent boy, played by young actor, Stephen Wight, is quite an eyeful and when he drops trou and announces "do you want to suck my dick!", well I hoped for more action. In between the scenes of the real play, the cast goes back and forth portraying the actors and staff involved in the rehearsal process.

And then the fun began on Tuesday with American Airlines, cancelled flights, a snooty desk staff at the hotel and lots of aggravation and stress. Fortunately, my truly great travel agent saved me from further distress working for hours to get me back on a flight yesterday afternoon.

Glad to be back!

ED

Also...

Meant to add that the biggest show to recently hit the West End appears to be "Hair." It received good reviews.

Also, Gavin Creel has been tapped to star in the Broadway version of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert." I was told that after a turn in the West End production of "Hair," he'll be joining the West End Priscilla to break in his role prior to Broadway.

ED

Guest alanm
Not wanting to blow my own horn' date=' I am considered to be the leading American authority on her music, career and life. My UK pal, Paul, is THE authority. I have contributed to several books on Dusty's life and music. That said, I went to party on Saturday night and another on Sunday and met many of her fans, friends and former colleagues, and despite trying to maintain a low profile about my visit, word seemed to speread and many of Dusty fans approached me. happily I made some new friends and got to meet some folks who I have known for 45 years, including my teenage penpal, Moira, but never met personally. It was a lovely weekend. [/quote']

What a great post. I would be very interested in knowing about the first time you met Dusty Springfield. Was there an instant connection, or did it take some time?

On "The Habit of Art," I saw one of the first performances of "Death in

Venice" at the Met in 1974. The opera is more highly regarded now than back in '74, but Britten et al. did not live to know it. But, Peter Pears did. Is the opera a way to get several famous people into a play, or is it a major part of the story?

Glad you got home safe and well.

Again, I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

My first time...

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the post.

I first met Dusty when I was 16. She was stopping over in NYC just before Christmas. A secretary in the publicity department at the old Philips Records told me she was staying at the Gorham Hotel on West 55th St (across the street from City Center). I spent most of the night trying to get through to her. She finally answered the phone around midnight and we talked for over an hour and agreed to meet at her hotel the next evening for a visit before she flew back to the UK.

I arrived and was told that she hadn't returned to the hotel but to wait in the lobby. Soon after, a limo pulled up and out popped this vision looking every inch a pop superstar. She waved to me from the street and motioned for me to come outside. She had been Christmas shopping and wanted help with her shopping bags.

We went upstairs to her room, got settled and she told me this incredibly funny story about her ride in the limo and spotting a girl on a motorcycle going up Park Avenue with the most incredible thigh-high leather boots Dusty had ever seen. Dusty immediately told the driver to "follow that motorcycle!" It took four stop lights but they finally managed to pull next to the motorcycle. Dusty lowered the window and inquired where the boots were purchased. The girl told Dusty she had bought them on 8th Street in Greenwich Village, so the limo made a u-turn and hurried downtown before the store closed. They got there in time and Dusty got her boots!

We spent the next hour and a half talking about her career and music. It was like I had met my long lost best friend. She was incredibly kind, generous and funny. We met occasionally throughout the years and although she had many difficulties in her personal life, she always maintained a deep affection for her fans. The last time I saw Dusty was in the West End of London back in the 90's. Her brother, Tom (Oscar nominated composer of Georgy Girl and other hits) still lives in Chelsea near Covent Garden.

ED

ED

When is the next plane

Ed

Thanks for the update, I want to go NOW. Love Shaw and imagine Ms. Kendall was perfect. How great that you got to see her, and War Horse sounds terrific. Blanking on the title, but there was a rather amazing play here in NY about three years ago about WWI. Hugh Dancy, Boyd Gaines, ugh...the name? Anyway, also devastating.

And I look forward to The Habit Art on your recommendation.

Thanks, too, for the Dusty story...I love hearing great stories about stars and their fans.

It was also announced that the National Theater production of London Assurance will be simulcast this summer to movie theaters around the world in June this summer. I saw last years simulcast of Pheadre and loved it.

Guest rohale
Meant to add that the biggest show to recently hit the West End appears to be "Hair." It received good reviews.

The question is will "Hair" have the sustainability in comparison to shows like "Oliver", "Hamlet" or even "War Horse". The answer is no, although it wont turn out to be a disaster like "Spring Awakenings"

Guest alanm

Ed,

Few women in Dusty's era managed their own careers. Her career had its ups and downs. Did her managers take advantage of her financially? It was tough being a successful woman in show business back then. I hope that she had someone in her life who take care of the details. The Lucille Balls (pun intended) in the business were few and very far between in those years.

Archived