Les Contes d'Hoffmann on MetPlayer

whipped guy
This topic is 5129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Metropolitan Opera’s new production of Offenbach’s Les Contes d’ Hoffmann has run its course, but it was just released for viewing on the MET’s website via their Met-Player which is based on the recent movie theatre simulcast. www.metplayer.org

At any rate, this realization of Offenbach’s masterpiece has to be the most outstanding and at times outlandish (in a good sense) presentation that I have ever seen anywhere, at anytime… a work of genius! The scenery and staging are in turn brooding, comical, and fantastic… and fantastic in the sense of evoking the kaleidoscopic fantasies depicted in each tale. Add to this the most appropriate stage pictures that encapsulate every aspect of the human experience from the grotesque to the opulently lavish and simulatneously convey the entire spectrum of human emotions from pity to slapstick comedy. The full depth of the stage is utilized as well and to good effect… My God! It seemed as if the stage almost extended to the Hudson River, such was the illusion created at times. Of course Offenbach supplied the palette, but it really took a talented production team to realize things so appropriately! Incidentally the director was Tony Award winner Bartlett Sher.

Now if the singing were not on a high level all of this would have been for naught. However, as Hoffman Joseph Calleja is awesome and in plush voice… possessing a clarion tenor that is pleasing if not rich in overtones. I also enjoyed Anna Netrebko as Antonia, who for once is singing a role that is suited to her talents. Only her final dying trill is a bit shaky (pun somewhat intended) but I have heard worse. Otherwise, the voice is a nice combination of sweetness and power that never turns strident. Plus the woman is a looker! The coloratura (Kathleen Kim) who sings the doll is excellent, the Giulietta (Ekaterina Gubanova) possibly a bit less so, but quite acceptable nonetheless... actually quite fine. The singers portraying the Muse and the villains (Alan Held) are quite good. The supporting players are wonderful as well.

James Livine conducts a non-standard edition of the score so that means that the Antonia and Gulietta scenes are in their proper order... plus some interesting alternatives are also included.

Check this out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alanm

I was lucky to get to see Hoffmann twice at the Met this winter.

I agree with all of your comments. I particularly enjoyed Sher's insights realized on stage. If anything Kim outshone Netrebko, but it was the difference between an A+ and an A.

Sadly, I did not get to see Calleja give a full performance. At the dress rehearsal, he never made it beyond the first act, and then, the second time, the understudy sang the entire role of Hoffmann.

Thanks for the heads up about the opera being available on the Met's website. I expect the Met will issue Hoffmann on DVD next year, based on Netrebko ability to sell CDs and DVDs worldwide.

Another viewpoint

I particularly enjoyed Sher's insights realized on stage.
Incredibly I belatedly just read the review in Opera News by Fred Cohn and he panned Sher's whole concept... the Kafkaesque nature of Hoffmann and the opulence of the staging. Actually I find Offenbach to be one of the most "colorful" of composers as regards his orchestration and his melodies. personally I feel that Sher captures this kaleidoscopic quality perfectly...

As for the singing, Cohen approved in general... and did comment on the pleasing fast vibrato that is part of Calleja's vocal production... something that I enjoy as well and about which I failed to mention.

Archived