Houston Theater

kjun
This topic is 5191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A friend has told me that Houston has more theaters than any city other than New York. He also said that recently he was there and tickets to performances cost $200 to $400 each. Can someone who knows verify or inform me if it is not correct?

A friend has told me that Houston has more theaters than any city other than New York. He also said that recently he was there and tickets to performances cost $200 to $400 each. Can someone who knows verify or inform me if it is not correct?

Well I don't know about the number of theatres- but just logically thinking about things I would be surprised if Chicago didn't have more. And I know at the Alley Theatre in Houston tickets don't cost that much for individual shows. That sounds more like the price for season tickets.

Gman

Well I don't know about the number of theatres- but just logically thinking about things I would be surprised if Chicago didn't have more. And I know at the Alley Theatre tickets don't cost that much for individual shows. That sounds more like the price for season tickets.

Gman

PS. The last time I saw a show in Houston was 2007. It was A Christmas Carol at the Alley Theatre. Ticket prices were nowhere near 200 to 400 dollars.

As a Houstonian, I do not believe this to be true, either in number of theaters or cost of tickets. I have paid well below NY prices for great seats to a variety of venues and performances. We do have a centralized downtown location of many theatres for everything from plays and concerts to ballets. Ticket prices can vary greatly in what I have seen, based on the individual or group and time of performance. Admittedly we do have a lot and a very active arts community, and I know less of NY or Chicago. One big bonus I will say about Houston is that there are many discounts, free passes, and/or performances sponsored by local businesses that makes many things more accessible to all. It is one of the things that makes me very proud of our city.

Archived