time out annoyance --cure?

newatthis
This topic is 5258 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The scenario:

I log in and begin reading the 2 pages of new posts since my last login. Immediately I fall upon an interesting thread with lots of comments I want to respond to. It takes some time to compose my response. When I go to post it, I get a message that I need to log in in order to post, presumably because the software has timed me out for some reason.

I log back in. (No, I don't lose my response; that's the good part.) After posting it, I click "new posts" again and discover that being logged out has marked all my as yet unread new posts as read. Grrr.

Any way to cure this?

Me Too!

Yes - I think the "time out" is too short. I've had happen exactly what you described. I was so relieved to learn that I had not lost what I had just written. It also happens to me when I'm reading a long string. Is there anyway to increase the time before the system automaticlly logs you out?

If I recall, there is a solution. When you log in, do you check the box that says something like "remember me"?BG
I can't imagine that would solve the problem. AIUI, "remember me" just puts a cookie on your machine so you're recognized the next time you come to the site and want to log in. Would it really keep you from being prematurely logged out?

Try it!

I can't imagine that would solve the problem. AIUI, "remember me" just puts a cookie on your machine so you're recognized the next time you come to the site and want to log in. Would it really keep you from being prematurely logged out?

So, while I agree that on the face of it, it's reasonable to assume that most programmers would not combine the two functions, but my experience has been that it really does either remove or at least greatly extend the time-out.

And for Businessguy's concern about checking "remember me" on an computer that others might even sometimes use, when you click on the "Log Out" link it clears the information stored by enabling "remember me".

[seems like we have two possible BG's Boston Guy and Businessguy ; I wonder which we should call BG++ ? ;-) ]

I'll try it.

Quote from honcho: [seems like we have two possible BG's Boston Guy and Businessguy ; I wonder which we should call BG++ ? ;-)

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. You can give Boston Guy the BG title. Most of my friends just refer to me as BS - grin.

Archived