SecondLife Hooville

BlueFlame
This topic is 2239 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 8 years later...

I was a user of secondlife in the early stages in 2004. It was terrible, the rendering and network lag was so bad, I guess my home internet was not great either, which was making things worse.

Recently I read “Ready Player One” and today I went to see the movie. After that, I though I would go to see if second life had improved and if the experience would feel better from a FIOS connection. It has been 14 years, a huge amount of time in computing.

I was quite disappointed, the menus are just as difficult to navigate, and the movements are not really more realistic than they were back then. In places where there are too many avatars, it is quite hard to walk around smoothly.

They haven’t invested in it. The one thing that is different is that people are talking using headsets, rather than writing, but apart from that nothing new.

It seems to be dying, the number of people in most places that I visited was 0 or 1, except the welcome centres.

Is the concept never going to grow to a viable business model?