DC's Lambda Rising to Cose January 2010

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It’s been a tough few weeks for the DC gay community with the sudden closing of the Washington Blade. Now, Deacon Maccubbin, owner of Lambda Rising Book Store has announced the store will close in January 2010.

This is horribly sad news for me. Both the Blade and Lambda Rising were integral to DC's gay community. The store served as the de facto community center for 35 years. Lambda has been a part of my life for 20 plus years living in DC. It was integral to the coming out process for so many.

Maccubbin and his partner are looking to retire and that’s one impetus for the closure. I can’t blame them for being reluctant to sell the business. New ownership may change the focus of the store or run it into the ground a la the Washington Blade. But I will certainly miss this central part of DC's gay community.

http://dcagenda.com/2009/12/04/lambda-rising-bookstores-to-close/

Guest novabear22031

Really depressing news - both the Blade and Lambda Rising were icons of my youth coming out, and mainstays even today. Surprised that Maccubbin and his partner had not tried to sell Lambda Rising to new owners.

Archived