An interesting take on gay marriage

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 5288 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks for the post. My initial reaction to the answer was anger, a predictable response. I started it again, this time listening. I will have to watch it again. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the speaker gave a satisfying answer as to how to effect change. Even if I end up disagreeing I'm thinking--so thanks for that.

Guest LeoWalker

Simply keep in mind that the words spoken come from someone "who is Non-Physical Source Energy as translated by Esther Hicks". :rolleyes:

But, in truth, her message seemed very similar to that of Mahatma Gandhi (non-violent civil disobedience). She is directing a non-confrontational...or non-violent approach. Might seem a bit intense to say that she's advocating civil disobedience...but the message did seem to say, "Don't validate yourself from what they do or don't allow you to do, do whatever you want and just focus on that".

Imagine how Gandhi's fellow Indians felt when he told them not to do anything? Granted, they did protest...non-violently. But, for someone who's seeking an even more passive approach to life, her message is a good response to her audience.

Disclaimer: I fully support gay marriage.

Simply keep in mind that the words spoken come from someone "who is Non-Physical Source Energy as translated by Esther Hicks". :rolleyes:

But, in truth, her message seemed very similar to that of Mahatma Gandhi (non-violent civil disobedience). She is directing a non-confrontational...or non-violent approach. Might seem a bit intense to say that she's advocating civil disobedience...but the message did seem to say, "Don't validate yourself from what they do or don't allow you to do, do whatever you want and just focus on that".

Imagine how Gandhi's fellow Indians felt when he told them not to do anything? Granted, they did protest...non-violently. But, for someone who's seeking an even more passive approach to life, her message is a good response to her audience.

Disclaimer: I fully support gay marriage.

I agree with message that we cannot let the matter embitter ourselves or live in anger at being denied. Its a great ideal to live by not letting others define yourself or justify your relationship. However I still do not think that the simple passive "grow out of the issue" works. I believe Ghandi's difference was not to give in to the anger, but, to make others see it and your refusal to accept or be imprisoned by it.

We cannot just sit back and accept, but it does not have to limit, rather the struggle should enrich our lives. I think she is trying to say live as who you are and that is the best proof of the rightness of it. For that I applaud the idea. But perhaps I am just not that enlightened, get the picket signs.

Imagine how Gandhi's fellow Indians felt when he told them not to do anything? Granted, they did protest...non-violently. But, for someone who's seeking an even more passive approach to life...

I agree that the speaker's message is in some ways much the same as Ghandi's. I just watched Ghandi the film a few weeks ago, again. It is still a remarkable piece of cinema. One line that sticks out is Ghandi saying, "I never advocated passive anything." His was a life of pro-active advocacy for change. He refused to let the British define him, even as they tried to silence him by isolating him in various jails. He refused to hate anyone ever. He approached life with humility and humor. While I think the speaker in the clip got the basic message right in terms of attitude, I wish she hadn't skirted the issue of how to protest well.

Archived