A little night music

NYTomcat
This topic is 5291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't know how out of touch I've been that I missed they were opening a revival of a little night music with Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta Jones. Has anyone heard any buzz on how the previews have gone? I'm getting tickets if for no better reason than how many opportunities are we going to have to see such a broadway legend perform.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, if I wasn't jealous of you before Leo, now I am. :)

I actually have a friend whose a producer trying to get me tix for jan or feb cause I just heard it started a quick sell. Plus I am spoiled, I love house seats I'm checking with him in the morning. Im probably going late feb, so let me know what you think.

Guest LeoWalker

Thanks. :p I'll let you know. Maybe you'll know how I should handle this:

I want to have a very, very large bouquet of flowers delivered to Ms. Lansbury's dressing room the night of the performance I'm attending...with a note saying something like: "From a fan who flew all the way from Ft. Lauderdale just to watch your performance tonight. You're wonderful!"

Who do you think I should speak with to make that happen?

Guest zipperzone

I want to have a very, very large bouquet of flowers delivered to Ms. Lansbury's dressing room the night of the performance I'm attending...with a note saying something like: "From a fan who flew all the way from Ft. Lauderdale just to watch your performance tonight. You're wonderful!"

I hope she actually performs that night. What a bummer it would be to get an understudy.

I don't know how out of touch I've been that I missed they were opening a revival of a little night music with Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta Jones. Has anyone heard any buzz on how the previews have gone? I'm getting tickets if for no better reason than how many opportunities are we going to have to see such a broadway legend perform.

She was great in "Blithe Spirit" last season. I saw a preview last week and it was terrific I thought. Very intimate. Jones and Lansbury were terrific but the real find was the Frederik. I'm forgetting his name for a moment but he was great. I'll be at the opening (2nd row center orchestra!) and have tickets for several other performances. I think it will be a hit. I love Sondheim.

I hope she actually performs that night. What a bummer it would be to get an understudy.

Ms. Lansbury almost never cancels. No need to be the voice of doom.

You'll have to send the flowers in care of the stage door manager. He'll see that they are delivered unless she has a prohibition against that sort of thing which is possible. Many performers don't like flowers backstage because of allergies, etc. so it might be better to send them to her apartment.

Has anyone heard any buzz on how the previews have gone?

Check "Readers' Reviews" on the New York Times website. Early postings here for "A Little Night Music" are strongly favorable.

It's fun to follow these reviews before a show opens. After about ten are filed, patterns begin to emerge that often predict what the professional critics will say.

Buzz on ALNM

Has anyone heard any buzz on how the previews have gone?

Broadway message board posters have been mixed comments on the revival. Most people love Jones and Lansbury, but have reservations about this production. The negative comments have focused on the small orchestra, and the minimal staging (often just suggesting furniture, trees etc.).

But we know how crazy message boards can be on occasion. Yes, I do have operalover's melt down over Adam Lambert last week in mind as I type my comments.

Operaman is correct, flowers to her C/o the stage door manager is the way to go. I actually called the theater ahead to have flowers sent to Bernadette Peters on the opening night of Annie Get your Gun. They were nice enough to give me the stage door managers name to have them personally delivered.

I would never have thought to do it except that at the time I had the good fortune to be related to Patty Lupone's agent and she recommended it was the way to go. They didn't give me a hard time, but she advised that if they do tell them your interning for CAA (at the time Creative Artist Agency was one of the largest equity and sag theatrical agents) and you need to have them sent from a business partner.

Operaman is right though, many flowers get held at the stage door as the dressing rooms can get allergy ridden for a singer (especially opening night).

Merman

Operaman is right though, many flowers get held at the stage door as the dressing rooms can get allergy ridden for a singer (especially opening night).

Good point. Ethel Merman, who was Broadway's most famous musical star, had an allergy to flowers in dressing rooms and every where else.

LEO, I didn't check, what theater is it in? I might know the management company and will try to get you the name of the stage manager.

Guest zipperzone
Ms. Lansbury almost never cancels. No need to be the voice of doom.

Not being the voice of doom, but as he is flying all the way from Florida just to see the show, an understudy would be a bummer.

Guest LeoWalker
Not being the voice of doom, but as he is flying all the way from Florida just to see the show, an understudy would be a bummer.

Yeah, I got a bit scared when I read your first post. I made sure I'm going up on a day that she's scheduled to perform...but, I suppose emergency or illness could change things. Hopefully not.

Due to family emergency on his part, I missed seeing Lang Lang in concert a couple months ago.

I see someone has mentioned the sparse sets and small orchestra - it is worth noting that this is a transfer of a London fringe production. The Menier Chocolate Factory (http://www.menierchocolatefactory.com) has achieved great success with some of its productions and many have transferred to the London West End and a few to Broadway (most recently, Sunday in the Park with George). I imagine the production has been filled-out somewhat but you should note it began life in a very small theatre.

Intimate Performances

I agree and with productions like night music and sunday in the park i think your going for the intimate performances from great preformers not the huge show stopping numbers like phantom or Wicked (which I also enjoy). But its different. Its why Alan Cummings in Cabaret at Studio 54 was such an experience. (of course you had to get the chill up your back as Natasha Richardson sang Maybe this Time while he hung from the walls beside your table twisting his nipples and flicking his tongue at you. what a great production)

Yeah, I got a bit scared when I read your first post. I made sure I'm going up on a day that she's scheduled to perform...but, I suppose emergency or illness could change things. Hopefully not.

When stars are billed above a show's title, as Lansbury and Zeta-Jones are for this show, you are entitled to a refund if they're not on.

Guest zipperzone

When stars are billed above a show's title, as Lansbury and Zeta-Jones are for this show, you are entitled to a refund if they're not on.

Agreed.

I, too have a ticket for this production on Christmas night. I am looking forward to it.

If you are not a fan of the "stripped down versions" beware of the new revival of "La Cage Aux Folles" (Kelsey Grammer just signed on to play the role of Georges), it has a smaller cast and less glitz than previous productions. Douglas Hodge will reprise his West End award winning role in this version on Broadway.

By all means, bring your flowers to the stage door and they will see that they get to Ms. Landsbury's dressing room.

The biggest hit of the moment and an impossible ticket to get is Kate Blanchett's "A Streetcar Named Desire" at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)! Tickets are going for $2000 on EBay! It closes Dec 20 and given it's sold out status, one wonders if it won't transition to Broadway for a limited run in 2010. Fingers crossed.

So many shows in jeopardy right now. Ticket buyers and tourists are headed to the well-established hits like Wicked, Jersey Boys, Phantom and Billy Elliot. Shows like Ragtime, Fela, Superior Donuts and others have posted closing notices or will be making that decision after the holidays.

ED

beware of the new revival of "La Cage Aux Folles" (Kelsey Grammer just signed on to play the role of Georges)

Lord save us. When he played Macbeth in 2000, I caught an audio clip during an NPR review of the thing.

Imagine all the great lines -- intoned by Frasier.

Atrocious. And hilarious.

Lord save us. When he played Macbeth in 2000, I caught an audio clip during an NPR review of the thing.

Imagine all the great lines -- intoned by Frasier.

Atrocious. And hilarious.

Just as a follow up to your previous post, I actually saw the man do, or should I say attempt to do Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates. I don't think we ever laughed as hard. Unfortunately, it wasn't at the score.

Just as a follow up to your previous post, I actually saw the man do, or should I say attempt to do Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates. I don't think we ever laughed as hard. Unfortunately, it wasn't at the score.

He could not even manage that?

Of course G&S does take great skill, and taste of a very specific kind. I still treasure my old D'Oyly Carte recordings. Newer ones just don't hit the mark.

He could not even manage that?

Of course G&S does take great skill, and taste of a very specific kind. I still treasure my old D'Oyly Carte recordings. Newer ones just don't hit the mark.

I actually have a number of the D'Oyly Carte recordings. but I have to get them transferred from my father's records to Digital. We have worn them out. You are correct, few get the timing and inflection of G&S the same and it looses a great deal.

Archived