Masseur/Masseuse

BgMstr4u
This topic is 5338 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A small nit to pick, French grammar variety.

Often in reviews here and in discussions, including today, in the review of Angel, a man who gives a massage is referred to as a masseuse. Masseur is the proper masculine noun spelling. A masseuse is a female masseur.

So let the heavens open and the objections to grammatical correctness rain down on my head. Just spell it right, for the sake of the guy you're reviewing, if no-one else. The last thing any of us want to do is pocket our 20's and show up at someone's place and discover that he really is a masseuse! Or check someone off the list because of the feminine connotations of the word.

Guest LeoWalker

I completely agree with you. Back when I was studying massage I was constantly annoyed by this...and told people I was a masseur...until I realized what I was saying...then was wanting to go with "massage practitioner". Either way...look at where I ended up, lol.

Wouldn't really put this in the grammar arena...it's the same as calling a woman Mister. Which for that case is like calling a mountain a lake, it's denotative. So no one should give you issue. :)

Archived