Recommendations on DC.

Romann
This topic is 5508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello hello!

Anyone who lives and/or has visited Washington, DC and has some insight on good parts of the city to stay in for convenience but also things to do, please do share. I would greatly appreciate it!

Guest LeoWalker

Steven's right. Dupont Circle is invariable where you want to be. It sounds like you'll be booking directly...but if you venture onto priceline beware. The "Dupont area" stretches much far North and West of where you'd want to be...so just examine the map closely. Otherwise, go further Southeast towards Capital Hill. Anything near there should be pretty good.

My last trip I stayed at the recently reopened Dupont Hotel (formerly the Jury [sp?]). Was actually probably the 10th guest checking in after being closed for 6 months of renovations. The rooms were exquisite. I doubt they're still running the "grand reopening" special but if they are you may definitely want to check in on there. The view of the circle from the restaurant was unbeatable.

The Residence Inn and the Palomar on P Street are also both good. Note that the Residence Inn does lock the downstairs doors at about 9 pm.

Guest LeoWalker

Oh, forgot to mention...almost equally just as nice was the Westin City Center. The rooms open with bay windows to the central lobby...very beautiful. Inside the rooms it's a darker upholstery but there's a lounge couch in front of the bay window. The only thing to consider with this hotel was that the internet was down at least 40%o the time. As well, I had major issues with my key card every time I left the room. Upon complaining to the MOD, it was immediately fixed, though. I mention this hotel only because the location is still ok, the rooms are really nice...but especially if you're going on the weekend they have a really good weekend rate.

To agree with the other replies, DC is one of my busiest work cities and I rarely leave a four block radius of Dupont Circle. And most of the gay clubs are walking distance from there as well. As far as what to do, be sure to hit the monuments, preferably at night. Also the National Gallery of Art, especially the east wing if you like modern (it's free!). The Metro works well there and you won't need a car.

Kevin Slater

Washington, D.C>.

Washington, D.C. is one of the greatest and most beautiful cities in the world. If you go on priceline for Dupont Circle Area and go for 3.5* or 4* hotels, you can always get one for under $100. Even if you get one a little north, like Omni Shoreham, there is a metro stop within a block and loads of excellent interesting restaurants one block away on Connecticut Ave.

Washington has many of the finest art museums in the world.

- National Gallery

- East Wing of the National Gallery (best modern art, better than NYC)

- Smithsonian Museum of American Art (superb)

- National Portrait Gallery

- National Museum of Women in the Arts (great)

- Hirschhorn Museum

- Philips Gallery (at Dupont Circle, intimate and excellent)

- Corcoran Gallery

- Freer Gallery (Asian Art)

- Sackler Gallery

- outdoor sculpture gardens at National Gallery and Hirschhorn

- Dumbarton Oaks Museum (pre-Columbian and Byzantian art)

Wonderful, Beautiful Gardens

-Tidal Basin and Jefferson Memorial

- Enid Haupt Gardens (outside Freer)

- Mary Ripley Gardens (delightful, outside Hirschhorn)

- Dumbarton Oaks Gardens (2-5 p.m. only, 27 gorgeous acres overlooking Rock Creek)

- Hillwood House Gardens (Marjorie Meriweather Post's place, great fun)

Walking

- in residential streets around Dupont Circle

- in Georgetown (take bus from Dupont Circle, 10 minutes)

- along Embassy Row (take bus up Massachusetts 'til it meets Wisconsin, gets out and walk down, beautiful buildings and gardens)

Restaurants are good and plentiful around Dupont Circle.

- especially along 17th Street between N and R Streets

(one of the reasons for not staying near White House or downtown is that there are relatively few interesting restaurants, and none on weekends, because there are no government employees to use them then)

- if you stay at Dupont Circle, be sure and have breakfast at Kramer's Afterwards; the bookstore has a bistro in back which is very good and very popular.

Gay Entertainment

The new SECRETS and Ziegfields have a large space and offer much. Ziegfields is for drag shows on weekends, and Secrets provides many male strippers every night of the week. Take a cab; it's clean and safe, but in a deserted area.

Public Transportation is fast, easy, and cheap, whether by metro or bus. If you fly into National/Reagan Airport, the metro station is attached and you will be at Dupont Circle Station in 15-20 minutes. Get metro/bus pass at MET CENTER STATION on RED LINE LEVEL and buy a pass.

There is a wonderful FARMERS MARKET at Dupont Circle, behind the bank, on Sunday mornings from 8-1. It is superb, with fruit, vegetables, flowers, pastries, cheeses, meats, and much more. It is delightful on a Sunday morning.

If you come home with energy left, you didn't enjoy the city sufficiently. It is a wonderful place with a tremendous amount to do.

- - - - -

Guest Musclestudoh

Sounds more like play time than "work" time! hehe :D

Or is it both?

Washington, D.C. is one of the greatest and most beautiful cities in the world. If you go on priceline for Dupont Circle Area and go for 3.5* or 4* hotels, you can always get one for under $100. Even if you get one a little north, like Omni Shoreham, there is a metro stop within a block and loads of excellent interesting restaurants one block away on Connecticut Ave.

Washington has many of the finest art museums in the world.

- National Gallery

- East Wing of the National Gallery (best modern art, better than NYC)

- Smithsonian Museum of American Art (superb)

- National Portrait Gallery

- National Museum of Women in the Arts (great)

- Hirschhorn Museum

- Philips Gallery (at Dupont Circle, intimate and excellent)

- Corcoran Gallery

- Freer Gallery (Asian Art)

- Sackler Gallery

- outdoor sculpture gardens at National Gallery and Hirschhorn

- Dumbarton Oaks Museum (pre-Columbian and Byzantian art)

Wonderful, Beautiful Gardens

-Tidal Basin and Jefferson Memorial

- Enid Haupt Gardens (outside Freer)

- Mary Ripley Gardens (delightful, outside Hirschhorn)

- Dumbarton Oaks Gardens (2-5 p.m. only, 27 gorgeous acres overlooking Rock Creek)

- Hillwood House Gardens (Marjorie Meriweather Post's place, great fun)

Walking

- in residential streets around Dupont Circle

- in Georgetown (take bus from Dupont Circle, 10 minutes)

- along Embassy Row (take bus up Massachusetts 'til it meets Wisconsin, gets out and walk down, beautiful buildings and gardens)

Restaurants are good and plentiful around Dupont Circle.

- especially along 17th Street between N and R Streets

(one of the reasons for not staying near White House or downtown is that there are relatively few interesting restaurants, and none on weekends, because there are no government employees to use them then)

- if you stay at Dupont Circle, be sure and have breakfast at Kramer's Afterwards; the bookstore has a bistro in back which is very good and very popular.

Gay Entertainment

The new SECRETS and Ziegfields have a large space and offer much. Ziegfields is for drag shows on weekends, and Secrets provides many male strippers every night of the week. Take a cab; it's clean and safe, but in a deserted area.

Public Transportation is fast, easy, and cheap, whether by metro or bus. If you fly into National/Reagan Airport, the metro station is attached and you will be at Dupont Circle Station in 15-20 minutes. Get metro/bus pass at MET CENTER STATION on RED LINE LEVEL and buy a pass.

There is a wonderful FARMERS MARKET at Dupont Circle, behind the bank, on Sunday mornings from 8-1. It is superb, with fruit, vegetables, flowers, pastries, cheeses, meats, and much more. It is delightful on a Sunday morning.

If you come home with energy left, you didn't enjoy the city sufficiently. It is a wonderful place with a tremendous amount to do.

- - - - -

Great place!

Karl-G gave a fantastic highlight of many of the top things about this city. I am a geek for the museums, monuments, and capitol area. I have stayed at the Renaissance Mayflower which is a great place to stay if you want to be close in proximity and travel to these attractions. Also, it is a great hotel with rooms that have great views, very comfortable, and a accommodating staff. I would agree Dupont Circle is also a great place where good times are to be had.

DC hotels

I have stayed at the Renaissance Mayflower which is a great place to stay if you want to be close in proximity and travel to these attractions. Also, it is a great hotel with rooms that have great views, very comfortable, and a accommodating staff.

Having stayed at the historical Mayflower hotel on Connecticut Ave several times I have to agree with the above comment, except for the great views. The hotel is known for not having views because of its strange H shape. The Mayflower advertises as "second best address in Washington, D.C." and that's probably true. The service provided is quite exceptional too. Upon entering the Executive Lounge the very first time, I was greeted by name by the attendant whom I've never seen or met before ...

Another great hotel (in a different, modern style) is the Palomar located on 21st and P str in Dupont Circle. I'd suggest booking an executive room which is twice as spacious as the deluxe room for a minimum difference in price. I like the modern decor of the rooms, the ambiance of the hotel and also the food in the restaurant 'Urbania'. The website is http://www.hotelpalomar-dc.com

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Steven ~

Thanks for all that great information!

Having stayed at the historical Mayflower hotel on Connecticut Ave several times I have to agree with the above comment, except for the great views. The hotel is known for not having views because of its strange H shape. The Mayflower advertises as "second best address in Washington, D.C." and that's probably true. The service provided is quite exceptional too. Upon entering the Executive Lounge the very first time, I was greeted by name by the attendant whom I've never seen or met before ...

Another great hotel (in a different, modern style) is the Palomar located on 21st and P str in Dupont Circle. I'd suggest booking an executive room which is twice as spacious as the deluxe room for a minimum difference in price. I like the modern decor of the rooms, the ambiance of the hotel and also the food in the restaurant 'Urbania'. The website is http://www.hotelpalomar-dc.com

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Steven ~[/color]

Perfect! I have to check them out and see what is going on there and in that area.

Karl-G gave a fantastic highlight of many of the top things about this city. I am a geek for the museums, monuments, and capitol area. I have stayed at the Renaissance Mayflower which is a great place to stay if you want to be close in proximity and travel to these attractions. Also, it is a great hotel with rooms that have great views, very comfortable, and a accommodating staff. I would agree Dupont Circle is also a great place where good times are to be had.

I will for sure check them out. I have stayed at Jury's in Boston and enjoyed it very much. Thanks again for the info!

Steven's right. Dupont Circle is invariable where you want to be. It sounds like you'll be booking directly...but if you venture onto priceline beware. The "Dupont area" stretches much far North and West of where you'd want to be...so just examine the map closely. Otherwise, go further Southeast towards Capital Hill. Anything near there should be pretty good.

My last trip I stayed at the recently reopened Dupont Hotel (formerly the Jury [sp?]). Was actually probably the 10th guest checking in after being closed for 6 months of renovations. The rooms were exquisite. I doubt they're still running the "grand reopening" special but if they are you may definitely want to check in on there. The view of the circle from the restaurant was unbeatable.

The Residence Inn and the Palomar on P Street are also both good. Note that the Residence Inn does lock the downstairs doors at about 9 pm.

Hopefully I'll be busy while visiting! (cross fingers) ;)

To agree with the other replies, DC is one of my busiest work cities and I rarely leave a four block radius of Dupont Circle. And most of the gay clubs are walking distance from there as well. As far as what to do, be sure to hit the monuments, preferably at night. Also the National Gallery of Art, especially the east wing if you like modern (it's free!). The Metro works well there and you won't need a car.

Kevin Slater

I noticed that DC does have a lot of things to see and with that said, I'm glad that I will be there for three full days because I honestly don't think that will be enough. :)

Sounds more like play time than "work" time! hehe :D

Or is it both?

I live in the DC area. With regard to convenience I think it depends on what you plan to do. But Dupont is as good a neighborhood as any. Not as gay as it used to be but the whole city is pretty gay anyway.

You may want to consider the Carlyle Suites hotel. It is an art deco hotel on New Hampshire Ave only a few blocks from the metro and the Circle. http://www.carlylesuites.com/

My favorite museum in town in the National Building Museum http://www.nbm.org

But there are a zillion interesting sites and museums in the city. You might want to check out Destination DC for ideas http://www.destinationdc.org/

You may want to consider the Carlyle Suites hotel. It is an art deco hotel on New Hampshire Ave only a few blocks from the metro and the Circle. http://www.carlylesuites.com/

I've stayed at the Carlyle Suites over a dozen times. It's a great location, big rooms and has a very useful kitchenette. Then one day I check in and notice them laying marble in the lobby. Oh shit, you know what happens next: the rates jump. As serviceable as it's been in the past, I'm not sure it's such a great bargain anymore.

Kevin Slater

Archived