"Happiness" in NYC

uwsman2
This topic is 5533 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw a preview of a new Broadway musical in previews: "Happiness" at Lincoln Center Theater. Same music & lyrics team that wrote "Grey Gardens." Book by a longtime B'way pro and many-times Tony winner. Great young energetic cast. Susan Stroman's great choreography. Somewhat gimmicky plot - but I won't say a word more about it because the surprises in the plot are an important part of what makes this work.

This was one of the most satisfying theatrical experiences I've had in a long time. I cried and I laughed. I was lifted up at the end. It's two hours and the momentum is so great that the time flies by, but you love every minute. This deserves to be a great big success, with something for everyone, and every gay boy should see it.

not a preview

Actually, I have since discovered that "Happiness" is no longer in previews, and got a sourpuss review in the NY Times, which I had missed. (Usually the playbill lists the opening date for a show at the end of the credits, but this one didn't, so I assumed it was still in previews, having missed the review.) I thought more highly of the music and production than the Times critic did. What impressed me so much was the high energy of the production, the energetic cast, and the interesting twists in the story, even though some might characterize the story as a well-worn old device.

Archived