Priests & Sexual abuse of minors ...

ready182
This topic is 8098 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

... is all over the news, and while I have no desire to kick off a religious war of words, I cannot help but be puzzled by the dual standard that appears to be in place. Any "common" person, let's say a school teacher, for example, who is accused of participating in sex with a minor, will as a general rule be found guilty until proven innocent, suffering both the full extent of the law and the scorn of the community, al la Megan's law. But, as I listen to AM News radio in the car today, apparently Catholic priests are above the law, and instead face only review of the church; referral to therapy; etc. Why is it that these offenders, and the people & institutions that defend them, are above the law? For anyone to prey on a child is inexcusable -- for a person "in a position of trust, & perhaps in a position of control", to prey on a child is extremely sick.

Guest Ant415

Maybe because Priests have large amounts of respect and trust afforded them due to their role in the community.

"Not Pastor Charles, he's a kind man, always helping out at the bake sale...."

Guest Thunderbuns

>I cannot help but be puzzled

>by the dual standard that appears to be in place.

You got that right!

>Why is it that these offenders,

>and the people & institutions that defend them, are above

>the law?

I have been asking myself that on a daily basis for some time now.

I think one of the reasons they have been able to get away with it for so long is that the Church has to all intents, brainwashed their congregations into believing that the church can do no wrong.

However the tide has turned and I believe we have only seen the beginning. If I had my way, any financial settlement would come directly from the Vatican, not the local diocese - and each and every cheque would be personally signed by the Pope.

I think it is just as absurd for the Vatican to deny previous knowledge of the mess as it is for Ken Lay to claim that he did nothing wrong at Enron.

Thunderbuns

There is no excuse for the scandal enveloping the Roman Catholic Church now. Most other denominations have long since cleaned house and faced the awful truth that some of the people ordained to the ministry have abused their trust. The Catholic Church has put it off until it could not be hidden any longer. If they had dealt with it when it first became a public concern, back in the early and mid 80's, they would have an answer to the present outrage. But they didn't.

To pretend that the problem is confined to pedophile priests is quite incomplete. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Most other denominations have had troubles with clergy going after vulnerable adult women (or those women going after them, and the clergy responding, which is just as bad -- abuse of trust). I am pretty sure that this area of abuse will be the next to emerge in the Catholic context.

The coverups and hidings and excusings of the hierarchy show how out of touch the authorities of the Catholic Church are. This story has only begun.

Archived