Sir Ian on SNL

J-Man
This topic is 8107 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest DickHo

Ian as Dame Maggie is interviewed during Weekend Update:

Jimmy Fallon: Dame Maggie, who is going to win for best supporting actor?

Dame Maggie: Sir Ian, who else! It’s time they threw that old queen a bone.

And I loved, loved, loved him kissing, the ever-so-cute, Jimmy on the lips. It looked as Jimmy wasn't expecting it.

Guest albinorat

Somebody has to say it and for those who care about Ian and read me I will know hate.

This is a career I have never understood; and I know several aspects of Ian -- let's leave it there.

He's an old ham and has always been. He hasn't the skills of many distinguished Brit stage actors, start with D. Jacobi and go backwards. This was perfectly evident on SNL where the SAME mannerisms showed up in every sketch, including voice and inflection and accent. Yes he was willing to dress up, scratch his balls and gave the newsguy a possibly unrehearsed French kiss. And he came out, once leading roles in hollywood were no longer feasible (what was he, 55?).

But there was no effort or ability to "become" the different characters -- much easier in sketch comedy when broad gestures will do and you don't have to sustain it for long. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were INFINITELY better at becoming whoever. Ian was the same as Maggie as he was as the "Turkish night club owner" as he was frankly as himself.

If you've seen Maggie you know the impersonation was ridiculous -- I suspect at least half the men who have worked on SNL could have done a better job at getting her mannerisms and delivery and would have been much funnier -- she is innately hilarious, sometimes whether she wants to be or not.

As is inevitable over the past five years the writing was piss poor and you can't blame Ian for that. But aside from the gay cracks and a sheer willingness to do it (and how bad was that endless Dickens sketch?) he was actually pretty lousy.

But I generally think aside from that willingness, huge energy and sheer stamina, he is unimpressive on stage and always a silly queen (in Dance of Death he was ridiculously camp this season).

Minority opinion I know.

Al

Archived