Montreal hotels via Priceline

TerryP
This topic is 6690 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi there. I know that several of you use Priceline to book hotels in Montreal, so I was hoping to get some comments from you. Basically I'm thinking of bidding for a 4* hotel for a few days at the end of February. The rates on the hotel websites are low (due to the time of year I'm sure) so I'm thinking I can get a great deal on Priceline. Howevver, I'm a little worried about the distance I might end up from the village. I normally stay close to the village (usually at the Gouveneur). So saving $30 or $40 a night by staying somewhere that I win on Priceline won't be worth it if I have a $20 cab fare to get to the village. So, my ultimate question is - roughly how far (cab fare) are the 4* Priceline hotels (Intercontinental, Omni, Hilton, Lowes, Sofitel) from the village?

Appreciate any other comments that you might have about my plan.

I have used priceline many times in Montreal and gotten great deals on the 4 star hotels in the central shopping district (Omni, Loews). I've also gotten stuck at the Hilton a few times which isn't as nice but still better than the Gouverneur. All are very close to the subway. It takes about 5 minutes by subway to the Beaudry station near the Stock bar.

Recently though, I have stopped using priceline and started using hotwire.com; largely because I don't want to get stuck at the Hilton. For my last 2 trips, I've gotten very nice rooms at the Hyatt through hotwire for $75-80 (about half the price of business level rooms at the Gouv.) The Hyatt has recently been renovated and the rooms are modern and comfortable. The Hyatt is 2 blocks from the Place des Arts subway stop (2 stops closer than the Omni and Loews) and only about 8 blocks down St Catherine from the Gouverneur. If you go on hotwire and a 4 star hotel in downtown comes up for under $90 and it is marked "customer favorite" there's a good chance its the Hyatt. I'll stay there whenever I can in the future. Also, if you see a 4.5 hotel with a SPA, its likely to be the Loews which is the best hotel in town (in my opinion).

You might find this site useful in deciphering what hotwire is offering you: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=92&

To answer you real question... a taxi to the Stock or Campus is around $9 from the Omni/Loews/Hilton and around $7 from the Hyatt. I think the subway is $2.50 and I use it often.

I've used Priceline often for Montreal, but only for 3 star hotels. This time of year you can win with a bid in the high $40's or low $50's. Summertime it's more like $70's-$90's. Every time I've won a bid for a 3 star hotel I got either the Delta (on Pres. Kennedy) or the Hyatt, except for one time when I got stuck with the Holiday Inn in Chinatown. All three of these hotels have subway stations close by and are 2 - 3 stops from the Village, or a $6 - $8 cab ride.

You can also find great packages on Yahoo Travel or Travelocity which combine airfare and hotel, usually saving about 30% over booking separately

Thanks. That's very useful info. Unfortunately there is no 4* customer favorite coming up on Hotwire for my dates, so it looks like no Hyatt. And the 4.5* with a Spa is coming up but it's $111/night which is more than I was looking to spend, although still a good deal for someone looking to stay at the Loews. I will probably wait a while and check for the Hyatt again. If no luck I will bid for the 4* on Priceline and see how that goes.

Any other comments are still appreciated.

you might try http://www.biddingfortravel.com That site gives extensive advice on bidding at priceline. In my two past experiences, I have bid for 3 stars in Montreal and gotten the Delta Montreal and the Hyatt. Both were very nice hotels, close to Subway stations (with the Hyatt, you dont even have to go outside to get to the subway. The hotel elevator takes you to the underground mall which connects to the subways). Both of these are a short 5 minute subway ride to the village. Also, the city offers a 3 day and I believe a 5 day subway pass, both of which if I remember correctly cost less than 20$ and allow unlimited subway rides.

Guest JohnPela

Thank you for the hotel bidding tips and info. It will be very helpfull for me on future trips and I'm sure for others returning to Montreal or going the first time, like I did for New year's.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chaotou

I won the Hyatt for $55/night for the weekend of 2/3 and 2/4. I bid $55 for 3*'s. I love staying at the Hyatt and saw that people were winning the Hyatt for $55 on http://www.biddingfortravel.com I might have gotten a 3* for a few dollars cheaper, but was hoping for the Hyatt and thought a little higher bid would get it.

Guest chaotou

Assuming both hotels were accepting bids of $48 you are right. Bidding a higher price won't help you get one hotel over another. But if the Hyatt isn't even accepting bids of $48 - I am never going to win it with a $48 bid. People were winning bids at $55 however. So, I had a chance at that rate. That's doesn't mean I couldn't have won the Delta and paid more, I agree. But, would have had no chance of winnig the Hyatt at a $48 bid it appeared from the winning history. I was willing to take a chance. If I would have "overpaid" for the Delta at $55 -oh well. I would have been okay with that result too.

Guest chaotou

How was my trip? Well, it was fantastic, as only it could be. Thanks for asking.

I enjoy reading people's Montreal reports. Mine won't be nearly as detailed, but I will tell you how it went.

Just as a matter of background, I have been going to Montreal for 7 years.

Campus remains unchanged. First of all, the drink prices are the cheapest both in the afternoon and night. The afternoons were fun as always. I must say it is potentially the best time in Montreal. Many of the usual guys working in the afternoon. Nonstop action on stage. It really can't be beat. I went back in the evening, which is unusual for me on both Friday and Saturday. It was late and I was on my way back to the hotel. Friday night, the dancers looked great. Saturday, not so great. Old and tired.

Taboo has been getting less attention lately on the board, but it appears to me they are cruising along as usual. I must say that I always stop by Taboo, but is not my favorite. I don't mind twinks, buy some at Taboo are too young looking for me. I usually stay for awhile and see what they have to offer. I kind of like the backroom at Taboo. It is more limited because it is so open. But, you know what you are going to get and what you are going to pay. The guys never try to say you owe them more than $10/song, and it is kind of fun looking around the back room and seeing all the action. It is like a bonus. Friday night had 26 dancers. Many hot, some not so hot. I had fun and some privates. Saturday night, I was there early. Only about 15 dancers. Not so hot, I left early too.

L'adonis. I must say what you already know. It is very hit and miss. Some trips I don't even bother to stop in. Other times, I will walk in and walk out without a drink. However, I must tell you that L'adonis has provided me some of the best privates at times. I was there Saturday night and had a good time. The group of dancers I would say looked like the afternoon group at Campus, kind of a mix, rather young, some hot, some not. I had a private with Samual and Jimmy. Both hot and worth a look.

So, that leaves the Stock. It is what it always is. I was there both nights. The men are hot, as always. There were many dancers both nights. Missing were Eddy and Fred. Also, Shad, whom is no longer working there I heard. Too bad. Highest drink prices of the four bars. All of the dancers are handsome and hot as you know. You don't need me to give you a review of the dancers. I will editorialize a little if you will permit me. I wish the Stock dancers would actually strip. I hate the dancing around on the slow dance with their pants around their ankles, and the the pick-a-boo looks at their dicks. It is very unsexy. Taking little baby steps like a ballerina, is not masculine or sexy to me. They all seem to just do what everyone else does and no one has told them otherwise. I wish management or someone would clue them in. I will say that Nick, as he usually does, danced totally naked, used the shower and is really hot and sexy for his slow dance. I wish others would follow his lead. I also hate the constant negotiation at the Stock, $10 or $20, open or closed, touch, or don't touch. You can get more bang for you buck at Campus. Also, someone said the monitoring is no longer taking place at Stock. Well, one of the times I was in the back, the lights went up and JP was making checks and looking over the curtains, including the one I was in. Apparently we were acting within the guidelines because he didn't say anything to the dancer. Just some random comments. I do like the Stock and always visit and will continue.

In general, the weather was mild and the men were hot.

Go north young man, go north.

Archived