Washinton DC Strip Clubs Question

sportsguy
This topic is 7181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Only 2 strip clubs are left in DC: Secrets at O & Half Streets, SE; and Wet at 55 L Street, SE (about 3 blocks north of Secrets).

Secrets is my favorite: better dancers, better bartenders, better parking, less street people, plus it's next door to the Follies, Washington Baths, and Glory Hole - sex clubs.

Secrets is open from 9 PM to 2 AM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 9 PM to 3 AM Friday and Saturday, 7 PM to 2 AM on Sundays. No cover on Sundays until 9 PM. Closed on Mondays. $10 cover on weekends; less on weeknights. Up to 16 dancers on weekends, in 20 minute shifts.

Wet may be open 7 nights per week, less convenient parking, more likely to be hassled by street people on the way to the front door. Dancers slightly less attractive. But some people really like it.

Have a good time!

I agree with Baltimore Observer's take on the current scene. I always did prefer Secrets to Wet, and I've hooked up with some genuine talent there from time to time. While Wet doesn't seem to have changed much over the years, Secrets has made a determined effort to keep the public happy--brightening up what used to be perversely murky lighting on the dancers and adding a shower-stall performing area behind the bar.

On a less happy note, a cabdriver who seemed to know what he was talking about, recently told me that the Southeast area (where the bigger gay discos as well as Secrets & Wet are located) will soon undergo a major overhauling. Seems the Navy (long a presence there) plans to acquire most of the surrounding property--clearing away the warehouses, garages and small-manufacturing firms that abound there--and, of course, all the gay enterprises tucked away among them. The implication for strip clubs is a grim one, I'm afraid.

Because the original city ordinance allowing totally nude dancing in places that serve alcohol was drawn up long before anyone imagined GUYS as well as gals would be stripping someday, gay bars with the same cabaret licenses as straight stripclubs couldn't be prevented from featuring nude male dancers. And even when the ordinance was changed (sometime in the mid-80s, I expect), places like Wet, Secrets (and the now-defunct Cage) were grudgingly grandfathered--which is why we're now down to only two places in DC where you can have a drink while ogling beefcake in the altogether. (Interestingly enough, I think DC may be the only place in the whole USA where this is legal. And if I'm wrong about any of this, please let me know.)

But if Secrets and Wet have to relocate because of the Navy takeover, the grandfather exception probably won't apply--spelling the end of nude male dancing as we know it in our nation's capital. So drink & ogle while you still can, guys! The thongs and posing straps are on the way.

And I intend to do some O Street ogling this very night.

I'm not sure it's the Navy picking up that land. The city has a comprehensive plan to completely redevelop the Anacostia waterfront and surrounding locations. They want to turn it into a big park area along with shops and restaurants lining the river. It also appears that a new stadium for DC United will likely end up as part of the development.

It's a shame the strip clubs will disappear, but that is such a seedy area that it could use a lot of sprucing up.

Archived